/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending Movi Controller range

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Andrew Griffiths, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The part number is HSP79493 for the 150mm one and HSP79766 for the 400 mm one -- if you search for these you get a few more hits.
    (e.g. https://www.superiorhobbies.com/ist...ass=RCVR&sortby=RECVDATE&numperpage=25&pos=25 )

Note that it appears that the active part of the antenna (the unshielded part) is not longer, just the coaxial cable, so you can position the active part further away from the receiver.

Andy.

Wesley Gurr likes this.
  2. Even Sigstad

Even Sigstad New Member

3. Michael Elsegood

Great to see the MoVi Community coming up with solutions for this - Very excited to be finally using the MoVI controller for pro UAV work. Very, very promising rig.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Apart from the higher power units sucking a lot of battery power, bear in mind that your command and control link for the Cinestar is also operating on 2.4Ghz and, when you get too close to a powerful transmitter (like these units), you may find that they cause unwanted intermodulation (to give it its proper name) that interferes with the command and control link.

Once more without the geekery: These units shout so loud you may crash the copter. :) :)

Andy.

5. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Quick question: We JUST got the controller. But it looks like it replaces my Spektrum Satalite? Or can I plug my Satalite into the new RX that came with Controller as a booster?

Also, I have the start stop sync cable for the Dragon, that supposedly plugs into the Movi board. But now the Movi controller RX is taking up that port.... LOST!

I want to be able to use Movi Controller with red start stop, with Spektrum satalite if possible for distance.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. William Kamp

William Kamp New Member

Ok guys, I'm reading all this and trying to figure out the best solution with an easy mod for a rental. I don't own this item, but I'm working with the house to get longer range. I'm not using our M15 on a copter, it will be handheld and need to go around 150m through walls. So a good booster would be great.

Which of these boosters have people had reliable fix with and how are you powering it from the controller? P-tap? is that the best solution you've found? Where are you getting cables?

Also, completely unrelated note, the movi controller can also be a mimic system, correct?

Thanks!

Will

8. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Just scroll back a bit William - to here:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...-movi-controller-range.6106/page-2#post-63219

Power it off the P-Tap, using the Lemo on the Movi Controller (just watch for the reverse polarity on the Movi Controller with that port), or other. We go off the Movi Controller Lemo - we mod'd the controller to put the polarity consistent with most of the gear out there.

And yes, Movi Controller can operate like a Mimic, but it's not exactly comfortable, especially once you mod your Movi Controller for range booster, monitor, bottle opener...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And cup/bottle holder for Labatts/Molsons, no? Well, perhaps two: Prime and Backup.

Andy.

10. Pascal Anquetil

Pascal Anquetil New Member

In few days I will receive an electronic part to extend the MoviController's range. The modification is very simple: nothing will be soldered or éventuellement unsoldered !

It's just a replacement of the XBEE PRO hf module by a long range version !! https://www.digikey.fr/product-search/fr?keywords=XBP24-AUI-001-ND

I don't know why nobody tryed it....
    it's so easy, lightweight and cleaner than the uggly 2.4ghz booster.

JOYEUX NOËL !!!

11. Stefan Helborg

I'm exited to hear what the result will be

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pascal having a bit of experience with the XBEE products how do you plan to program it so that it will 'talk' properly with the MoVI? It isn't a plug and play type of device. Lots of parameter settings that need to match.

13. Pascal Anquetil

Don't buy it ! It's the same power as the stock :-/
    I am searching another one with more power.

14. Pascal Anquetil

We will see, it's just 50$ and keepcool Gary ;-)

15. Pascal Anquetil

And for the parameters it's easy with X-bee software ;-)
    If i can read the parameters from the stock X-bee hf it will be easy to set the new one.

16. Pascal Anquetil

And I think it's even possible to put an X-bee 900mhz TX in MoviController and an 900mhz RX for my M15 for a thrue long range gimbal system.

Kent Cornwell likes this.
  17. Pascal Anquetil

I MADE IT ! I replaced the stock X-BEE PRO-TX by a new one successfully in the Movicontroller.
    It's really easy to dump the parameters from the stock TX and replaces them in the new one with DIGI software.

Next step is the 900mhz... Stay tuned ;-)

18. Stefan Helborg

Why set it to 4? mine is set at N/A

19. Benjamin Roth

Benjamin Roth New Member

Hi Pascal,

that's exciting news. What do hf module did you choose, that has more power?
    Thanks, and let us know how the 900mhz are coming along!!
    Ben