/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALta & 3D Full Spherical 360 Video Gear

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by MIke Magee, Sep 15, 2015.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

I think some have a tripod attachment?? I am using one on a ballon shoot soon. So I too will be also interested on how to attach it once i get the hands on the mount

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks Steve. That's EXACTLY what I was thinkin.

Here's what I got back from Adam @ Freefly.
    Thanks for contacting Freefly Systems with your question.

I don't personally have any experience with these rigs. It should be easily adaptable to the ALTA. If you use our AERO landing gear it would get in some of the frames and need to be edited out. Other than that, you could expect long flight times flying such a light weight package. You should be able to rig this up with a quick release using our MōVI ‘Ninja Star’ Adapter Plate and Toad In The Hole Quick Release

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.​

Josh, how did this work out? Got any advice/recommendations? What are the deets about this rig? How did it work? Would you change anything, etc..

tx,m

5. Steve Maller

I sent Josh an email just now...hopefully he'll be able to answer some questions directly.

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I built that mount with a friend from some aluminium tubing, a couple aluminum plates, and a TITH adaptor. The whole thing was pretty light weight and worked great.

Josh

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks Josh. Couple questions if you have a few minutes.
    • Did the length of the pole keep the Alta out of the footage?
    • Why id you want
    • Did it sway at all an cause any flight stability problems?
    • Any vibration that needed to be handled in post?
    • Why did you select that length?
    • Could you show a closeup of the bottom and top of the pole?
    • And finally, how was the footage from that specific rig (the client selected the same one)
    Thanks. It looks just like what I need. Never thought I'd do something like this. Appreciate the help.
    -m

8. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    -The pole is 28" long. The ALTA is still very easily seen in the video but the guys will be digitally removing it.
    -I'm not sure I understand this question... :D
    -It wasn't anything crazy. It did feel a bit funny top mounted but that was the first time I flew any camera top mount so I wasn't sure what to expect. When it was slung under it felt fine.
    -Not that I am aware of. I haven't seen the final product yet but our tests looked great.
    -The client who works with the 360* often said the longer the better. I felt 28" was a good number.
    -I'll post some pics today.
    -From what I have seen it looks nice! Just a lot to process.

When is your shoot? I could possibly build you a mount if you want. I would send you mine but I need it for another shoot next week.

Josh

MIke Magee likes this.
  9. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks for the info Josh, AND for the generous offer to build one. I think I can manage when I see the photo details of the top and bottom. Looks like fun. I haven't flown anything on top, so of course, I'll test abit.

How often are you using this setup? At less than 4lbs you can probably fly it for 20 minutes!
    I really appreciate your response and help.

tx,m

10. Steve Maller

I'm getting 16-18 minutes with a M5 carrying a GH4 and video TX with two 10As. Josh's rig can probably manage 25 minutes or more...not that it matters.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's an interesting mount, Josh. I would have thought that the horizontal wind "sail" forces on the vertical tube would have caused some problems, but what do I know? :)

Andy

12. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

Is there a reason to fly the 360 rig above the Alta? It seems to me that the ground would be harder to clone out effectively than the sky which you can usually just fill in with a color based on the clouds and feather the edges. I've flown a very similar rig from my S1000 a few times using a combination of custom mounting plates I came up with and it worked quite well.

13. Steve Maller

It seems to me the best way to do this would be two mounts above AND below, and to composite them in such a way that the ALTA disappears, right?

14. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

That could defintely be good. We experimented with placing 3 additional GoPros on the top of the S1000 aimed out and up to help fill in the gap created by the copter. I didn't do the final 360 compositing, so I'm not sure how that ended up working out in the end. It was a blue sky day though, so just cloning the sky would of been an easy fix. One issue I remember the 360 tech mentioning is that the closer you are to any subject, the closer the cameras lenses should be to each other to eliminate any potential distortion caused by the shifting parallax. If you're flying wide scenics, I think having the cameras further apart isn't an issue, but if you're close to things, that parallax between lenses would become more obvious.

It's an interesting idea though :)

15. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

The main issue is the images aren't gimbal stabilized.

16. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a job tomorrow where the client wants to do some 360 video using a ten GoPro rig.
    Unfortunately I won't have a chance to test this all out until tomorrow morning before the shoot.
    I have a 75cm pole attached to the ninja star which will attach to the Alta at the top and to the GoPro rig at the bottom.
    I intend to hand launch and retrieve.
    I needed a support platform to rest the Alta while the payload is being attached and cameras are set to record. I have some steel supports that are high enough to accommodate the elongated payload (picture attached). I was worried that these steel supports may interfere with the boot up process and compass of the Alta, so I was thinking I would do the boot up with the Alta attached to its landing gear as usual and then transfer it to the steel supports to fix the payload and get the cameras rolling and then hand launch and retrieve.
    I just wanted to double check with people here to see if you think this procedure will avoid any problems that may be caused by proximity to the steel structures?
    Cheers,
    Alex

Attached Files:

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Alex: As we say in the software business, "that should work." :)

Another approach, which you may not have time to construct is to build what Mr. Maller refers to as his "ghetto stand."

See http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/scary-near-disaster-today.4022/page-2#post-44380 Message #30.
    That was a Cinestar, but the principle would still apply. (Sandbags not included.)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

18. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

If this shoot goes well I imagine there will be more jobs like it so will definitely come up with some thing like this, but time is a luxury I don't have much of in the next 24 hours :(

19. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

so it was raining all day today and the shoot got put off to tomorrow. I spent a bit of the day making a pvc stand (pic attached).
    It is fairly stable and with a couple of shot bags on the bottom should be reasonably solid.
    My question is, if you had access to this extreme ghetto stand would you take off and land on it, or would you be doing a hand launch and retrieve?

Attached Files:

#19 alex ryan, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd hand launch and retrieve -- well actually I'd insist that my assistant do the hand launch and retrieve :rolleyes: -- the problem being that you might just foul the Ghetto Stand on the way up or down and that would be a RBT (Really Bad Thing).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert