/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta max payload.

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Sam Fleishman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

In the attached photo I have the Alta, m15, dual m10 Movi lipos, dual 10amp tattu lipos, and a dummy red test mass with no lens.
    I put this set up on my digital scale and it comes out to 28 pounds.

How are people flying the Alta with arri mini and red dragons? Seems like it would be well over 30 pounds all said and done.
    What's the hover throttle on this kind of setup and how hard can you actually push this thing? anyone flown a dragon on their alta yet?

Attached Files:

2. Chris Fenner

Chris Fenner New Member

Wouldn't you want to weigh the M15, movi lipos and camera only? Think that would be in the 12-13lb range all said and done, being the M15 weighs 5.4 and red dragon is 5-6lbs.

3. JoshuaDunn

JoshuaDunn New Member

And you should take off those big heavy sponge blade protectors !

Andy Gloyne likes this.
  4. AdamSculthorp

AdamSculthorp New Member

Getting the perfect package is tough without going over the 6.8Kg payload limit.
    Alexa Mini with CF2 Prime, 1x Heden Motor and Gear, Teradek Bolt Pro2000 and associated cables on a Movi M15 (with Aero Landing Gear) comes in at 6.8Kg. But you'll need to run the camera from the Movi Lipo's which isn't ideal.

5. JoshuaDunn

JoshuaDunn New Member

Hi Again , we flew a dragon over the weekend , M15 , paralinx tomahawk , leica lens with screw on filter , Red Epic Dragon , we have the IDX endura series battery with lightweight side mount , all up payload with 2 x 10K mah flight batts was 9266grams including FPV gear and voltage alarms x 2 , 166 grams over the limit , we got 10 minutes flight time with 15% charge in reserve . We were flying at 1800 feet above sea level in low temperatures . I was impresssed with this performance . We are getting a lighter video sender to take us under the max payload weight and I am testing some 8k Mah batts to save another 450 grams and allow for more lens options . We have focus motors with MDR etc , but I cant see how we could incorporate this tech with the current weight limit. I found when flying in manual I was a pinch over nuetral on the throttle to sustain a hover , in height hold its perfect and I am yet to try position hold in this set up .
    I hope this helps with your set up . Cheers , Josh

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Jan Evers

Jan Evers New Member

Hey,

we have the following setup:
    Red EPIC Dragon with Motion Mount, Zeiss Compact Primes, Freefly Wedge with two Hedén M21VLE Motors, Connex Amimon, Tattu 4S 6750mAh battery. All weights exactly 6.8KG, but without the Aero landing gear...

Hope that would make things easier....

Kind regards

Jan

7. Tom Pattison

Tom Pattison New Member

Only thing we're worried about is if we're all flying at max weight, what happens if a motor/prop/esc dies?
    I'm not convinced it would have enough reserve power to stay in the air... :confused:

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think you may have answered your own question, Tom. Not even FF can defeat the laws of physics. :)

Andy

Guillaume MARION likes this.
  9. Peter Lethbridge

Peter Lethbridge New Member

I'm confused here, I've loaded the Alta with a Movi15, Red Epic, 2 x Tattu 10,000mah batteries, Connex and a Cannon lens (600g). Its all comes in at a tad over 30lbs which is narrowly outside the AUW limit. You guys with Zeiss lens must be way over?

10. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I must admit that I am wondering about the payloads that Freefly themselves have been flying in all of the demo videos that they have been releasing over the last few months...

As Josh said above, we are right on the limit also, and I am looking to lighter cameras (such a s a Weapon) to fly at altitude or to fly a PL Mount lens.

11. Bo Kostelac

Bo Kostelac New Member

So how are most of you working on powering all of your accessories?

Wedge, Amimon Connex, Movi 15, Camera. The way I see it, you need 2 batteries to power the ALTA. 1 for the Movi, 1 for the Wedge, 1 for the Connex (or other video tx), 1 for your camera. Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

12. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

But where do you live? Whats you altitude above sea level?

13. Peter Lethbridge

Peter Lethbridge New Member

Uk around 600ft above sea level. That not really relevant. What I'm questioning is that the Max payload at sea level is 30lb. With just the bear minimum EPIC kit, the AUW is right on the limit.

14. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Joshua are you sure your AUW with all of those components was 9266 grams =9.266 Kg = 20.42 lbs ?
    adding the weigh of some of the main components your weigh is more close to 14000g or 31 lbs

Alta weigh is 4.5 Kg =10lbs
    dragon weight is 2.3 Kg 5 Lbs
    IDX Battery .522g = 1.15 lbs apron
    tomahawk transmitter 200g =.440 lbs
    M15 2.47kg= 5.4lbs
    2x 10k 6S batt 2,716 kg 6000 lbs aprox
    Leica lens 1.33 kg = 3 lbs aprox

15. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

We are flying a Leica R with Canon Mount. It's a lot lighter.

Leica R 24mm 0.471kg

(Also, changing to the Connex Transmitter and 8000k batteries to save some more weight).

16. Jose Luis Ocejo

what is your intended AUW

17. Bo Kostelac

Bo Kostelac New Member

Agreed. Remove the height and distance restrictions (at least for those of us outside the US). It is ridiculous for an expensive professional product to have these restrictions when cheap toys (DJI Phantom) don't even have those issue. As many have already stated, it's a dangerous restriction since many people will attempt to exceed these restrictions by doing the maneuvers in manual mode anyways.

18. JoshuaDunn

JoshuaDunn New Member

Hey there, I said my all up payload was 9266, I don't put the weight of the alta into the equation as the craft is a constant . The payload is full of variables . The paralinx sender is 305 grams with cables FYI .

19. Jose Luis Ocejo

Got it thanks Joshua