/dist/images/branding/favicon

Introducing ClearBoost, Enhanced 5.8GHz Video Reception & Range

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mark Harris, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Member

Hi Guys,

I've moved on from DragonLink to create a new company engineering products for drones/fpv use with a local businessman/fpv store owner. I'm doing all the engineering, he's doing all the flight testing and boring business stuff.

We're commercializing a product that I've worked on for years as a personal project, because it's something I want to use. We've just gone live on Kickstarter taking preorders:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/markh/clearboost-enhanced-video-reception-for-drones-and

Its a little device that sits between your 5.8GHz video receiver antenna and receiver, and amplifies the signal the receiver sees. I realise that many users here are flying with digital HD downlinks, which ClearBoost is not compatible with - it's just for analog video. For those flying analog video, lab testing shows it offers a theoretical 4x range increase, however in the real world we typically see 2-3 times the range. For me, the main benefit isn't the extra range (we have 1.2GHz for that), but how much it cuts down/removes random static bursts you get as you fly around, especially if you happen to get a tree between your receiver and the transmitter. You still do see some static, but in side by side comparisons it isn't nearly as often nor as strong.

I'd really appreciate if you could share the link with your friends and communities on Twitter/Facebook/Google+, even if you're not in a position to back the project yourself!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting product, Mark.
    You might want to update your signature if you no longer work for DragonLink. :)

Andy.

3. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Member

Hah, great idea! Thanks Andy.