/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA Hints and Tips

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Thanks Keith...we sent them the required screws and I was under the impression that they had taken care of it before passing it on to you but I can check with them on Monday to see what happened.

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Keith,

We are working on your request and will have the parts for the update on Monday.

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

Anybody else run into a similar clearance issue between the FPV camera and the M5?

Attached Files:

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yes, I reported this a while back. It looks like you have the same kind of camera as I do.
    There are several smaller FPV cameras available, including one that Quadrocopter sells.
    But I took a shot at a MacGyver-ish solution, and it has worked great. If you have some leftover "dog bone" CF parts from Cinestar days you can do the same, or similar. I've got dozens of hours of flight time on my ALTA now, and it's holding well. Here are some photos showing the same thing you found, along with my hacky "solution". :rolleyes:

image1.JPG
    image2.JPG image3.JPG

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: Were your dogboners attach to the battery tray, did you have to drill holes there or where there already holes with threaded inserts?

Andy

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Neither. The dogboners™ :rolleyes: are in pairs above and below the leading edge of the battery tray and are squeezing it, so no holes were drilled.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thank you for asserting my Trademark. :)
    Andy.

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Here is the config file that can be used to set up the Futaba 14sg. I was ableto get set up without it, but I feel better having the one from Adam at Freefly.

NOTE: In the zip is the ALTA_14SG config file as well as the exe and doc from the Futaba site. AS ALWAYS you should get Futaba stuff from Futaba, but this utility hasn't changed for a couple years.

Adam said it was OK to share this.

BTW, as mentioned previously, you need a PC to copy the file to your Futaba sd card because of it's proprietary dile system format.

AND, While I'm here, Seecraft makes a tray specifically for the 14sg that is fantastic.

-m

Adam Henley(Freefly Systems)
    Aug 24, 11:20 AM
    Hello Mike,
    Thank you for contacting Freefly Support about the ALTA.
    We now have a Futaba 14SG config file available. If you decide to use it you will need to visit the Futaba downloads page and select the (File System Utility), It can be located here: Futaba Downloads. The Futaba utility will allow you to export our config file to an SD card that can then be loaded to your own 14SG.
    I have attached the Futaba 14SG - ALTA Config file in this support ticket.
    We like to use the sliders on the side of the radio if they are available. This allows for easy confirmation by the feel of the slider position.
    If we can be of further assistance please let us know.
    Best Regards,
    Adam
    FREEFLY Technical Support

Attached Files:

Kurtz likes this.
  9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mike: How are the two R7008SB Rx set up please:
    1. Are they in Mode B?
    2. Do they both handle channels 1-8, or does one handle 1-8 and the other 9-16?

The Futaba PC software is a little "clunky" as far as the interface goes but it does work. But black mark for Futaba for not supporting a standard file system. Sigh.

Andy.

10. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Andy, As I understand running dual receivers bound to the same TX, the full channel set is handled by both, and the Alta leverages the one with the best signal. (Alta UG pg. 30). Not sure about mode B.

It was SO easy to do - Even **I** could do it. See: http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/article_info.php?articles_id=401&osCsid=19d4f3efef71fbe4bba77cf60ac6b459

One basically Binds the same TX with 2 RX's using a parameter for each. Physically, you just bind twice.

Calling the interface (and reason for it) "clunky" demonstrates that you are a true gentleman Andy. MY rating was a bit more coarse.

-m

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. Klaus Friedrich

I am not sure which other FPV cameras you are referring to but I would like to emphasis that only those FPVs listed in the ALTA manual seem to work.

I have a good quality FPV camera (PAL) from another branch and don't get a steady video signal with the ALTA. Freefly support is looking into this issue. But for what I understood, the listed FPV's in the manual are not only recommendations, they are prerequisite.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The curious thing is that if you look at the Futaba 14SG manual (page 25) it shows that when the R7008SB is in Mode B, you only have channels 1-7 available. But if you look at the ALTA manual page 39, it shows a channel mapping for all channels between 1 and 9 (using channel 8 for Velocity Clamp). That suggests that you map one R7008SB to Mode B, and the second one to Mode D for the extra channels -- but when you do that, the second R7008B skips over channel 8 and only provides channel 9-14.

I've emailed the tech support folks to try and get an answer.

The Tx to dual Rx binding is, as you say pretty easy -- once you notice that "binding" is calling "Link Procedure" in the manual (page 37). :)

Andy.

13. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

For those having a similar issue to what myself and Steve ran into, you can also do this...
    IMG_3156.jpg IMG_3158.jpg

Steve Maller likes this.
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wait a minute -- as Gary reminded me -- when you're using S.BUS, I think you get all 14 channels on the S.BUS connector -- the channels to which the manual 14SG manual refers are the PWM channels that are the physical connectors on the radio!
    So disregard the posting above. I'll leave it as a monument to my confusion -- just in case someone makes the serious mistake of reading the manuals! :)

Andy.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The "this" being to drill additional holes in the U-bracket to lift the FPV camera up higher out of the "sweep" of the MōVI, right?

Andy.

16. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

Correct. Sorry the pictures are huge, i'm not sure how to scale them lol

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not a problem. You can scale them in PhotoShop and just reduce the image size. Other image editors can do the same thing. Alternatively just crop the unwanted parts of the image off.

Andy.

Kyle Foley likes this.