/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony start / stop with LANC?

Discussion in 'WEDGE' started by Derek Cooper, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hey Gang,

Got our WEDGE setup this week - talk about a great kit! Thanks FF yet again.

Question - can we use the LANC cable to trigger start / stop recording of an FS7? Or do we have to revert back to the traditional remote start / stop through the Movi instead of using the LANC cable from the Wedge to the Sony FS7 LANC port? We've been experimenting with start / stop using the LANC cable from the WEDGE to the FS7 but can't seem to find the magic combination.

Movi Controller V 2.0.5 - latest BETA.

2. Simon Sjoren

Simon Sjoren New Member

Hi Derek, I second your questions about the Wedge+FS7 compatibility.. Trying to setup our wedge+controller with supplied LANC-cable with our FS7 but can't get it to work.. Did you find any solution?
    Regards, Simon

3. Derek Cooper

Hey Simon,

What can't you get to work - start / stop? That is a known problem - FF knows about it and their engineers are looking into it.

You should get other LANC functions to work though - I can adjust iris for example without any problems. Can you confirm you can iris adjustments to work?

Derek

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've changed the thread name to "start / stop" from "stop / stop" -- the original name seemed a bit "Zen" if you know what I mean. :)

Andy.

5. Simon Sjoren

Simon Sjoren New Member

Hi Derek, I'm having trouble getting the Iris to work also.. Would you mind giving me quick run through of settings to make the iris control happen on the controller with FS7. We've connected the wedge cam output to FS7 remote jack. The we've been a bit puzzled regarding the settings on the controller. Tried flipping in between LANC / Sony Multi but can't seem to find the right combo.
    Regards, Simon

6. Derek Cooper

Does the FS7 recognize the lens i.e., can you change the iris on the camera directly?

On the Movi Controller, you want LANC as the setting. Plus the LANC cable into the LANC port on the WEDGE and into the mini plug port on the FS7 - same one as the hand grip.

Let me know if you get that far and still don't have iris control - I'll take photos of the Movi Controller to get the iris control working for you.

I'm still waiting for FF to resolve the start / stop problem - haven't heard from them in weeks on the issue. Bryan told me to use the Universal Start / Stop control, which is great but then negates having remote iris control. Ugh.

7. Simon Sjoren

Simon Sjoren New Member

Thanks Derek for reaching out,
    The FS7 recognizes the lens. We use Canon EF with Metabones Ultrabooster and have iris-control via the wheel on the side of the camera.
    But I cant seem to find the magic combo in the FIZ-menu to get the lanc-iris to work.
    If you have the time, I would be thrilled if you posted some photos of the menu settings you have put in place to make it work.

We've been down in france and shot for a full week now with dual gimbal setup, and everything been working flawlessly besides the iris-control and rec trigger.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

8. Derek Cooper

France - nice.

You have the FF LANC control cable plugged into the WEDGE and the FS7 I'm assuming. The only problem with doing that is you sacrifice remote start / stop, but that's a separate issue.

We just got another camera today so we are working in the shop to integrate it into our gimbal - if I have a minute I'll post shots of how we got remote iris working. Give me a bit...

9. Derek Cooper

Hi Simon,

Ok, here are the steps to enable LANC control of the iris on a lens mounted to a Sony FS7.

First, our setup - Sony FS7, LANC cable connected to the camera's LANC port on one end, Freefly WEDGE Cam port on the other end. One RedRock torque motor on the focus gear. We used a Zeiss Batis 25mm lens for this example.

1. Build a lens profile like you build for all your other lenses, but in this case, only check the Focus option for the WEDGE; finish off the lens profiling as you would for any lens setup
    2. Choose the lens in the Lens Library and calibrate it in the FIZ Main
    3. Now choose your FIZ Detail and switch the view to Iris (default is always F for focus)
    4. Navigate to the LANC + - and highlight one of the two; in the photo below you can see I chose the + symbol
    5. Now rotate the Menu SET dial and presto, you change the iris setting on the FS7
    In step 5, you really have to spin the dial a lot to make changes to the iris, which is a function of the FS7 - just like you need to spin the dial a lot on the camera directly to make minor iris changes.
    You can obviously still use the large focus dial on the Movi Controller to control focus.
    So there you have it - focus control using the WEDGE's Redrock Torque motor and iris control using the WEDGE LANC cable to FS7. Now of course none of this matters cause you still can't Start / Stop the FS7 using the LANC cable. FF knows about this issue and is trying to source an FS7 so they can fix the issue for us.
    Now a pretty picture...
    IMG_0109.JPG

10. ssjheli

ssjheli New Member

Got it to work
    Are There Any way to get the iris knop to work and not the menu set butten?
    Soren
    Rotorcam.dk

11. Derek Cooper

Not yet Soren.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

13. Derek Cooper

LANC control is slated to support the Sony FS5 & FS7 in the next firmware release - FF asked me to test their beta build with our FS7 and can confirm it works! Yay FF.

14. Robbert van Weelderen

That's really great news, have the controller and wedge on order for use with my M5 and FS5.

15. Derek Cooper

Make sure you order the cables for the motor(s), LANC and power while you're at it. Enjoy!

Will be curious to hear if the M5 will be able to handle all the weight - FS5, WEDGE, motor(s). Sounds like a lot in my mind. Let us know how it goes.

#15 Derek Cooper, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  16. Robbert van Weelderen

I still have to order the LANC cable (the company I ordered the rest from didn't have the cable). I'm not planning on using any motors because I will be using native E-mount glass and will use the LANC control for focus and zoom control.

17. Derek Cooper

Nice - let me know how that goes. I'd be curious to hear how well that works for you.

We've been mod'ing Zeiss Loxia glass with dual gear rings through Matt Duclos and using motors. Been a superb solution but by-passing motors would be nice if you get the same efficiencies.

18. Robbert van Weelderen

Ahhh, I read some things the wrong way. I thought I would have had Lanc control using all of the normal dials on the controller instead of having to work with only the Menu Set dial. FreeFly surely would need to document this better because this is not really a useful application.

19. Derek Cooper

I was actually wondering if you knew that - it's not implemented the way you were thinking. Dials are for motors. LANC is those tiny + / - symbols. Fine if you're doing iris but not acceptable for focus. Just email FF with your feedback - they listen.

20. Robbert van Weelderen

For Iris control it indeed works fine, although the real dedicated dial would be better. For focus it's not really acceptable indeed.
    I have a (portfolio) shoot planned for this weekend, luckily it will probably only be a landscape shoot where I can rely on either AF or smaller aperture set and forget. I'm not sure how the LANC protocol works and if use of the real focus knob could be implemented. I'll definitely send FF an e-mail with my feedback. Would be so great to have this feature. It would definitely give the FS5 another real plus as a drone camera on the Alta.