/dist/images/branding/favicon

Aero Landing Gear

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by James Adkins, Aug 20, 2015.

1. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Where does the aluminum tube with the ridge go? They didn't come with a sketch and I can't find any photos showing the rear tubes.

2. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Never mind....I missed the earlier thread on this!

3. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

Going off of the thread I started earlier, I ended up using just the aluminum tube and not the carbon fiber one. I'm still not sure why they included both.

4. Aaron Mendez

Aaron Mendez New Member

I was told that the aluminum tube is specifically for the M5 and the carbon tube is just an extension in case you need more room on the pan tube to balance the gimbal and still attach the back landing gear. I still have my stock M10 pan tube on there since I currently am testing with a GH4 but when I move to an EPIC or more weight....I'll most likely have to use the extended tube that is included in the AERO gear.

Kyle Foley likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mine is in and installed. Haven't flown it yet, but a few observations:
    1. I really REALLY like being able to use the keyed horizontal tube with the MR kit. I had tightened my previous setup down so hard that I had actually cracked the CF tube (never realized that until recently...) to keep the MōVI from swinging on that tube.
    2. The stance is a bit wider and taller than before, which for the M5 isn't a big deal (can't use giant cameras) but is probably a good thing for those with an M15.
    3. I'm still looking for a good transport solution for my MōVI. I got a Jason case but it was a bit of a fail as it doesn't work with a Toad in the Hole, and I'm not sure it'll fit the new legs, either. :(
    4. It looks really nice. :)
    IMG_4709.jpg

Danielle de Leon likes this.
  6. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

I noticed you have a lot on mounted on the GCU Steve, ever run into balancing issues? I currently have my Connex system split between the two front legs.

I also have the pelican case from Freefly for the M5, sadly the aero landing gear won't fit inside it with the Connex equipment mounted on it :(

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My issue is that the humongous LHCP 1.3GHz antenna I use needs so much room. Balancing is not an issue, as the stuff doesn't weigh that much. I kept it all together to simplify and clean up the wiring. The M5 balances just fine, even with the diminutive GH4/Oly 12mm combo. As you can see, the downtube is all the way to the front stop, but all 3 axes balance that way. When I use a larger lens or a larger camera, I can scoot the whole magilla back a bit.

Kyle Foley likes this.
  8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Kyle Foley

Kyle Foley New Member

I actually have a Pelican 0370 for another octocopter of mine and that would be plenty big for a Movi, possibly too big haha.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I use one for an M10 set up for run'n'gun shooting. It's one honking big case, but if it would fit the M5/MR with Aero legs, it would be a good thing in that it would minimize the setup time (and associated mistakes) -- everything could be set up before arrival and the ALTA/M5 could just be snapped together with the TitH.

Andy.