/dist/images/branding/favicon

Amimon Connex integrated with Movi Controller?

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Derek Cooper, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hi,

Has anyone piggy-backed on the Connex's ability to transmit gimbal controls between a Movi Controller on the ground and a Movi on a drone?

2. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I'm interested.
    -m

3. Bruce Clarke

Bruce Clarke New Member

Ditto!

4. Derek Cooper

I've had a great chat with Amimon - just waiting for permission to post their comments here.

In the interim - I think this looks very promising - have a look here:

https://goo.gl/f6qWlz

Confirmed working with Movi M5 and Spektrum DX7S PPM - so we should be able to use the Movi Controller's XBee TX over the Connex? Anyone concur?

5. Derek Cooper

Ok, Netanel Goldberg from Amimon has given me the ok to post this message he sent me - we were talking about getting the Movi Controller to transmit to the Movi via their Connex HD RX / TX system.

-- snip --

Netanel Goldberg (CONNEX)
    Aug 19, 19:19
    Hi Derek,
    I browsed quickly through the manual. Nice looking and very clear.
    There is a "long" and a "short" answer to your question whether CONNEX can relay the signals from your controller to the remote receiver:

Short version:
    Yes, but.
    Current CONNEX SW & HW Support two types of protocols to relay control information: PPM and SBUS.
    Both are introduced to the Ground Unit over the 3-pin connector input.

Long version:
    It will work only if you can translate YOUR data into one of the formats supported by CONNEX: PPM or SBUS.
    On the receiver side the CONNEX Air Unit outputs the relayed data via SBUS protocol... so you would need to translate the information back to the format that your receiver can take as input.

If this is not clear enough and you need further details I suggest we set up a conference call to discuss.
    Kind regards,
    Netanel

6. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

This is something I would think Freefly would be working on since they jumped on the Connex bandwagon. We already know that the MoVI will work with SBUS so the question is can the MoVI controller output an SBUS signal for the Connex to transmit. That could be done directly by taping into the MoVI controller or perhaps using a MoVI controller receiver (plugging a MoVI rx into the connex to be retransmitted). Hopefully Freefly will come up with something.

7. Derek Cooper

Well outside my area of expertise, but wouldn't a converter from the Movi Controller to SBUS do the trick?

http://goo.gl/1h67x9

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

The Controller uses 2.4Ghz XbeePro Tx/Rx, I don't think it would be acceptable.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Mark Hoffman

My guess is that the easiest way to accomplish this is to create a converter board that takes the output of a MoVI controller rx and turns that signal into sbus. That would get plugged into the Connex on the ground and then sbus from the Connex in the air would go to the gimbal.

10. Derek Cooper

I agree Mark - I'm not a PC board guy, can it be done?

11. Mark Hoffman

I am no electronics guru but I am fairly certain this is doable. Hopefully Freefly or Quadrocopter will come up with a "magic" cable for us.

12. Paul Christopher Greene

Interested as well and have come to see that with no less than 8 wireless subsystems (many on 2.4Ghz and the rest on 5Ghz) maintaining communications without failure to be the biggest hurdle with next gen aerial work. Really, someone should build a dedicated high output long range system with enough bandwidth to mux ALL Flight control, camera HD video, gimbal control, POV camera video, FIZ etc in a SINGLE system so they're not fighting with each other. Add an intelligent auto tracking motorized head for the primary TX / RX antenna and finally things might get a big easier lol.

13. Derek Cooper

We had a bit of a break-through today Paul - check out this post over in the range extending thread...

http://goo.gl/arpH26

We were able to modify our system to push out to 900' - awesome for now using a booster on the Movi Controller.

I talked to FF about supporting the Connex and even went as far as to get Connex to the point of needing a few questions answered on the Movi Controller so they could advise on how best to integrate their system. Bryan said they would consider it, so here is hoping they connect their Movi Controller engineer to the friendly folks over at Amimon.

14. Paul Christopher Greene

Fingers crossed...SO frustrating to have a great UAV, Gimbal, Camera, Wireless FIX, Wireless Video (camera and POV) and NEVER BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE CAMERA PAST SHORT DISTANCES lolololol

Thank you!

15. Derek Cooper

Connex is the real deal if FF could talk to the Amimon engineer about their communication protocol - they (Amimon) seem real keen to resolve this for us.

16. Derek Cooper

BTW Be sure and let FF know you are keen on a Connex solution with the Movi Controller - the more people who speak up, the higher the probability it'll get done.

17. Paul Christopher Greene

Hopefully FF is seeing all the chatter about range reliability problems and is working on solutions. It's a shame to have such well engineered gear only to be so limited in it's application and range...

18. Chris Benny

Chris Benny New Member

Fingers crossed! This would be pretty amazing.

19. Michael Elsegood

Whilst I love the out-of-the-box thinking on the Connex workaround to the MoVi Controller issue, I'd hope the Freefly Engineers would concentrate on fixing the root cause (MC Range) rather than offering a workaround via third-party hardware. I have already spent my $10000 on multi receiver tomahawks, and $4000 on MoVi Controller - Id expect to use them both professionally in their own respective capacities.

20. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Got this in my INBOX this morning...

There is a new great software version for CONNEX, and I will be glad to show it to you in person.
    The drone video market is growing rapidly and we have a new offering in this field which I thought would be of interest to you. Connex, a high-performance wireless HD video link offers an exciting solution for today’s UAV professionals.
    My team and I will be debuting this product technology and enhanced new software next week at IBC and I’d be happy to give you an on-site demo of its capabilities.
    Click here to select your preferred viewing time at our booth (Hall 11. Booth 11.C75).

[​IMG]