/dist/images/branding/favicon

How To Get The Horizon To Tilt Smoothly

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Thomas Appell, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Thomas Appell

Thomas Appell New Member

I shoot a lot of music videos and while a perfectly level horizon is great for some things, I find myself loving the shots where I'm tilting the camera off level, perhaps 30 degrees counterclockwise then smoothly rotate the camera to about 30 degrees clockwise then perhaps level for a bit then out again. Does anyone know how to get the Movi 5 to do this smoothly? I can't get it to do anything but lock into a level horizon.

Thanks....

2. Markus Mueller

Hi Thomas,

you can do it easy with the Movi-Controller. I've set the roll to the iris dial on the controller and can smoothly roll the axis.
    I don't think that works with the app, but there is also a function to set the roll-level. Might be not so smooth-maybe someone jumps in who has experience on that.

Best - Markus

3. Thomas Appell

Thomas Appell New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the Movi controller since I mainly shoot solo so I'm still stuck with a level horizon - I just want the Movi to smoothly follow the direction I roll or tilt the the handles which seems pretty basic. The tilt can do it via the app so why not the roll? I'm thinking there should be a way to do this without having to spend an extra $4K for the controller. You're correct, setting roll level doesn't work with the app as far as i can tell…

4. Danielle de Leon

Danielle de Leon New Member

Thomas,

It sounds like you are ready to move on to a dual operator set up! You can adjust the roll a few degrees in the app to create your shifted horizon, however I don't think it will be as quick or significant enough for what you may be wanting (30 degree shift).

The MIMIC is a great solution for this, especially since you are interested in a more cost-efficient method than the MoVI Controller. Yet, you would need a walking tripod (a.k.a. a friend) to hold your MoVI while you control the camera.

Nothing compares to the MoVI controller if you need consistent access to manipulating speeds of various maneuvers- not to mention the follow focus option it provides. Definitely worth investing in if you ultimately see yourself progressing in that direction...

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

You can do this with a regular RC transmitter. When I need to use my movi beyond the distance of my movi controller I have it set up to be controlled by a Graupner TX. I use the Graupner because of the amount of switches, knobs and sliders it has. One of my knobs is mapped to the roll and I can adjust the roll to be level or off level in either direction by turning the knob. I also have knobs for the tilt and pan speeds just like my movi controller so while things are in different physical locations, we can do all the same things. Not sure how much RC background you have, but it is very straight forward to get set up.