/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony A7 not transmitting - HELP

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dan Coplan, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

I have a CS8 with a GH4 that runs HDMI out to one of those little $30 boxes to downconvert the signal for my 5.8GHz Tx. Works like a dream. I have a shoot tomorrow and the client wants me to fly the Sony A7. Everything is fine until I run the HDMI into my converter box at which point the screen on the camera slowly blinks off and on and the signal on the monitor end goes from blank to scrambled.

I've been through all the menu settings but I guess it's possible that I missed something. Or is the A7 simply not compatible with my setup?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thankfully my shoot isn't until late tomorrow so there's still time to figure it out.

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Are you powering the converter box with 5v? I know the GH4 sends enough power through the HDMI port to power the converter box. Some cameras do as well but sometimes it's not enough power and will cause the symptoms you described.

3. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Yes, that was it! I wasn't powering it with the GH4 - didn't need to.

What is your best suggestion for powering the box considering I don't have the time right now to get a connector wired up that pulls from the lipo that's powering my transmitter? I have one of those little USB power bricks which is how I was able to do this test but it's pretty chunky. Maybe that's the only solution but thought I'd ask if you have any other ideas.

4. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Ended up mounting a GoPro on top of the A7. Not ideal, but lighter than the external power brick and since I was flying a 20mm lens and the shots were wide, it worked out just fine. Next step: Buy an Amimon Connex!