/dist/images/branding/favicon

8 booms or 4?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jonathan Ross, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi All,

We are about to invest in a new copter and we were wondering if anyone can give us some feedback on a question. Is an 8 boom single prop system more stable and easier to fly than a 4 boom with dual inverted motors on each boom. We are looking at two different heavy lifts from Quadrocopter and could use some advice.

Thanks,
    J

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'm a fan of the X8 config. Among other things, it's more compact and you can run bigger props on it without concern as to them hitting one another. I find it to be more stable, too, but it's kind of apples vs. oranges because I was running completely different power systems on my flat copter. There are downsides, including the inability to grab it out of the air (ouch), the higher probability of props appearing in shots, and possibly diminished structural stability at very high AUW. But after weighing the options, I voted thusly.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ium-heavy-lift-8-10kg.3079/page-13#post-43762
    [​IMG]

3. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thank you Steve great feedback. What do you think about the T-Motor Heavy Lift Motors MN4012 do you have any info or experience? I have found what looks like a solid copter to replace our other and these are the motors. They are also using a Gryphon Dynamics Octo Power Distribution Board. I need to lift 12 lb. easily. I appreciate your help sir.

Cheers,
    J

4. Steve Maller

I don't know anything about those motors. I'm a KDE guy. But lots of folks (including Quadrocopter) use them.
    By 12 pounds do you mean total payload, or just the camera system?
    And nothing with multirotors works "easily". :rolleyes:

5. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Yes, we have a Cinestar 8 and it flies great but it will not lift our payload of 10 lb. without a serious upgrade so I am looking at options right now Yes, I meant 12 pounds of payload aside from copter. QC says they this set up is built for 12 lb. payload I'm just looking looking for as much feedback as possible. I especially like the idea you shared of having more space between booms for props. Thanks again Steve.

J

6. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I'm considering turning my HL CS8 into a HL CS4. I refuse to fly a small quad with a GoPro or other "cheap" camera. I'm currently using 6S batteries with 8 MN 4014 motors with 14" props. I want a smaller "bird" that will still fly a Movi and a DSLR. If I shorten the booms and go with 15" props on a quad config what does everyone think about the lifting capacity?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I'm not a math major....

7. Steve Maller

By quad do you mean four motors? Or do you mean a coax X8 octo?

8. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I mean a quad - 4 motors. I was thinking booms about 300mm.

9. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

I would stay away from a quad and work with nothing less than 8 motors if you want to assure safety for your rig and gear. If you lose a motor on a quad you are toast. I am an 8 rotor kinda guy though so I am biased. Hope this helps.

10. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Jonathan,

Biases are fine. I guess I could go the X8 route, but my goal is to reduce the overall size of the craft. What about 300mm - 400mm booms for an X8? I would still stick with the MN-4014 motors and 15" or 16" props.

Mike