/dist/images/branding/favicon

Naza v2 on cinestar 8 flat

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dustin Boeddeker, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Dustin Boeddeker

Dustin Boeddeker New Member

Soooo my Heli has been down for a few weeks bc dji can't get their stuff together I am currently running the A2 system. I did a firmware update and fired my led I have tried about everything to get it to work agin. Anyhow I got a spare naza v2 sitting here and i would like someone's opinion about running that temporarily until I get my a2 back up and running or until the alta is here what ever comes first. So what you think? Sketchy? Got to film this weekend so if anyone is running the naza and is having luck with it let me know.

2. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

Hey Dustin,

I own a naza v2 and wookong, i have the wookong on my canister.
    I know a few people fly the naza on a big octo with success. Although the naza was designed for lighter aircraft with decent gain tuning it can fly well!

I would only recommend this as a temporary fix as you say but you shouldn't have a problem!

3. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I have NAZA V2 temporarily on my Cinestar 8 and now X8. Havent had any issues, works just fine with a bit of tuning of the gains. I am going to be upgrading motors and payload soon, so I'm going to switch to Wookong/A2 but the Naza has been fine for the time being.

4. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

I can't speak from experience but I listen religiously to the Multirotor Podcast (it's really good - check it out on iTunes if you haven't heard of it). They addressed this issue in one of their podcasts and said it's not a good idea as the Naza isn't designed for bigger copters like the CS8. But people have obviously flown it with success so I suppose my two cents would be go ahead but with the understanding that if you have problems, it's not like you weren't warned.

5. Dustin Boeddeker

Dustin Boeddeker New Member

thanks for the input. i would go with wookong over the A2 for how many issues i have had with it and how many other issues i have seen from other ppl or just ditch DJI completely. not worth the 1300. I finally got ahold of dji and they say I'm about 6 weeks from getting it back from repair. just too much of a headache for what it is.

6. Jim Gilley

Jim Gilley New Member

Sorry I'm too late to the party to be of any use to the OP, but I'll toss this out there in case someone searches this topic in the future. I have two CS8 flat-8s that have a Naza2 FC and they both work great, in spite of all the warnings to the contrary. AUW is about 20lbs on both and they basically fly like Phantoms. So I'm well aware that this is a non-recommended setup, but I've been using these for about a year now and have made hundreds of flights. Works great for what I do.

7. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Hey Jim, what motors/ESC's are you running on your flat CS8's? I have mine built with V2, Maytech Opto 60a, and QC3328 but have a Wookong and new motors on the way, wondering if I should gut it and rebuild or leave it how it is and make a new one. Curious as to your current set up.

8. Jim Gilley

Jim Gilley New Member

Very sorry again to be so tardy as to be useless, but for future reference, here we go. My "stock" CS8 is running with the original QC motors, 60A Maytech ESCs (overkill, but was all I could find in stock at the time), and CF 14x4.7 slowfly props. Works great with default gains on the Naza2. My heavy-lift CS8 is using Tiger 4014-10 motors, the same 60A Maytech ESCs, and 15x5.5 CF props. It also flies great with default gains. I profess to being a complete idiot, but my personal experience is that it's really easy to get a CS8 flying good enough for my purposes, which is still photography, so I can't speak as to how it would work for video. Both of these rigs are hugely overpowered for my D800 and 35/1.8, but the price and performance can't be beat. Have made hundreds of flights in the past year and have zero complaints.