/dist/images/branding/favicon

Won't write settings

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jeremiah Cox, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Hey everyone, Movi newby here.

When I go into the app to change my settings, they work as they should when I'm testing it out on the Movi while it's still Bluetooth'ed to the computer. I get things how I like them, click "write settings" and then "disconnect." When I go turn off my Movi and turn it back on, the settings haven't changed, and the movi is totally limp. The motor is doing anything.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's an easy solution, but it's pretty frustrating. Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jeremiah: welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Just to confirm what you're saying, you can successfully make changes to the settings and observe the effect of those changes on the MōVI before you power it off, right? So you know for sure that the MōVI is connected properly?

If you go into charts and look at the various charts while you waggle the MōVI you see the lines moving up and down?

I'm just trying to make sure that the Configurator app. is truly connected to the MōVI.

Also can you verify what version of the app. you're running, on which computer/tablet, and what firmware you have installed on the MōVI.

Thanks
    Andy

3. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Thanks, Andy. I'll add my last name.

Yes, it's definitely connected. When I add values to decrease or increase tilt, etc, it works when I test it out on the gimbal. But after I write the settings, disconnect, and then turn off the Movi, when I turn the Movi back on the gimbal is completrely limp and it's lost all of the settings I previously wrote to it.

I'm running App version 1.561 and Firmware 4.01.

4. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Oh, and I'm running it on OSX.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. That is very strange indeed.

It sounds like the MōVI is just not writing the settings to non-volative memory, so, as you say, you can do an autotune, get stiffness values set to something reasonable but even after System -> Save Settings but they're not being saved across a power off/on cycle.

I don't recall seeing that kind of behavior being described by anyone else. (There are times when you don't want to be the only person to whom something is happening, right? :) )

I suspect the best thing to do open up a support ticket by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com -- put in a link to this thread to save some typing.

Andy

6. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Okay. I just sent in a support ticket.

One thing I noticed is when I turn the Movi off, then power it back on, all three green lights come on and then go away. Then when I connect it to the app, two of the green lights come on. So I only have lights after I connect it to the app. I can disconnect it while it's still powered on, and the Movi will work as it should. The problem arises when I then power off and later power back on. Nada.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It might just be a coincidence that the two lights come on when you connect to the app, Jeremiah. Usually what happens is that the three greens come up immediately, then there's a pause, and once the MōVI is "active" the number of green lights indicate the current battery charge (in this 2/3rds).

So those two LEDs coming on might just happen to coincide with when you connect up via the Configurator app.

Given the holiday weekend at Freefly, and just on the off chance that you might be able to find the issue, check out this:
    https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...on-my-MōVI-is-limp-but-the-other-motors-work-

I realize that the description doesn't match the symptoms you're seeing, but, as I say, it might be worth checking that one of the cables has not come loose -- I'm not sure even that would cause the symptoms, but...

The other thing you might try, is re-flashing the firmware into the M5.

Just in case that should upgrade should fail, you will need a "jumper cable" -- I believe those are now shipped as a standard part with new M5s.
    The jumper cable is shown here: https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...-update-my-MōVI-firmware-it-will-not-turn-on-

Personally, I would not try the firmware upgrade UNLESS you have the jumper cable. Even, then, make sure that your Mac is close to the M5, and kill all unnecessary apps on the Mac to reduce the risk of the firmware upgrade "bricking" the M5. (The idea behind these two steps is to reduce the likelihood that something on the Mac interrupts the flow of data from the Mac to the M5.)

Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

9. Jeremiah Cox

Jeremiah Cox New Member

Thanks for all your help on this, Andy.

I flashed the firmware again, powered down, powered up - no dice. I'll check the connection next, but I'm doubtful since I'm able to have full control when it's bluetoothed to the program.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to spell all this out. It's greatly appreciated. I'll wait to hear from Freefly or anyone else on here who may have ran into the same issue. Thanks!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. Frustrating. As you say, I think it's time to wait to hear back in response to the support ticket.
    Please post if you do manage to get it fixed just so other folks find out what the cause might be.

Andy