/dist/images/branding/favicon

Micro Vibrations

Discussion in 'Freefly Tero' started by Kevin Schmid, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hello,

Today was my first day out testing the Tero with M5 on a golf course. Have micro vibrations. Is there a difference setting for the M5? Any feedback welcome. THANKS

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Done sir, thx

4. Charlie Cushing

In the tuning menu try to turn down some of the motors, sounds like you probably have one of the values too high.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you try setting the Autotune value to about 70% and then autotuning it? Autotuning isn't the complete solution, but it definitely gets you into the ballpark.

Andy.

6. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Thanks Andy and Charlie, Will be going out to the golf course tomorrow again and will check the new settings. Will feedback you...

7. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I'm having the same problem. M5/GH4. My movi is solid when handheld, but the movi has a lot of small higher frequency vibrations when used on TERO on a smooth surface. I am honestly blown away that Freely support told me there is no tuning that needs to be done to the TERO, just add well tuned movi. I have done just that and ended up with unusable footage. Every wire based isolator I have used have to be tuned to the payload. There is an obivious weight difference between a M5/GH4 and a M15/EPIC. I have yet to get a smooth shot from TERO. My next step is to add some weight or drop 2 wire isolators.

Any advice for me?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Matt: Did you set the autotune value to 70% and then autotune the MōVI on the Tero, please? Apologies if you've already posted this info. on the forum, but I don't see it in your post above.

Andy.

9. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Thanks Andy. I will try that.

10. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

So adding wieghts to the cheese plate would be a bad idea? I'm at Walmart at midnight before we shoot into morning. :/

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The GH4 is a pretty light camera, so certainly if you add some more mass the system can autotune to higher stiffness values, but I'm using the GH4 with the Oly 12mm on an M5 and I just used 70% autotune and then autotuned it with me holding the MōVI with both handgrips. Works fine. The other thing you might check is that any cables you have going to the camera are thin and are not resisting the motion of the camera -- you might not have any such cable, but just a thought.

EDIT: I'm not using it on a Tero -- should have made that clear. Sorry.

Andy.

12. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Thanks for your help Andy. I too have have great success with the M5 handheld and on my cablecam system. When mounted to the TERO I get vibes on very smooth surfaces. Im thinking its the TERO. Im adding 5lbs to the cheese plate tonight. Hopefully I will have some good footage at my shoot in the morning.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I hear ya. Did you get the Tero from quadrocopter.com? Sounds like you've already emailed to support@freeflysystems.com but to no avail....

Andy.

14. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

14 pound rule? Is this only for older TEROS?

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/tero-expectation-and-results.5436/#post-53236

Me = Do you have any resources in tuning the vibration isolator/suspension for different payloads? I am hoping to use a M5/GH4/tomahawk tx on a toad connector = 8ish lbs. Is my kit based in the old "14lbs" out of the box tune like the limited production release tero?

Freefly Support = The TERO ships already setup. You only need to tune the MoVI gimbal itself.

15. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

OK, back from another test with on a paved road, same result as on golf course. Changed Autotuning to 70% and tried to turn some motors down too in different ways. Also tried Factory Settings. Nothing has changed. Movi 5 seem to be ok when I pick up the Tero and move around. Could it be that the gearbox might add some vibrations as I think it comes from the Tero it self? Or could it be a weight problem as I work with GH4 with a total weight of 3.5KG (7.7 pounds)

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Kevin: I was thinking about this, based on Matt's postings above.
    Could it be that the GH4 is simply not heavy enough to deflect the Tero's springs downwards to the point where they start to cushion the motion? Think automobile with shocks that are too stiff...

Could you try adding ballast weight to the cheeseplate as Matt suggested just to see what gives?

Andy.

17. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Andy, I will do so then with in the next couple of days. Will first have to find something appropriate that will fit. THX for now.

18. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

I added 5lbs via 2 bar wieghts and zip ties. It seemed to help. I did not know what else to do.

Next mod is traction control/anti wheelie.

Check out the "Mars Rover" w/ +5lbs on the top plate. We a had a blast shooting in the DOve chocolate factory.

Attached Files:

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did the added 10lbs fix the problem, or just make it somewhat better?

Andy

20. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hi Andy, I added about 8.8lbs (4kg) helped, it looks a lot more stable now. The M5 is balanced really good too. Do you have any suggestion on best value for the gimble?