/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi m15 drift issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by sarp karaer, Jun 5, 2015.

1. sarp karaer

sarp karaer New Member

Hey there.
    My company recently bought a m15 and started using it on sets. It's great but there is an issue that sometimes occures and we couldnt figure out a solution for this.
    Even though all the balances are perfect it doesnt matter if it is a heavy setup or a light setup the movi sometimes starts drifting on pan axis. Just a tiny bit drifting but still it caused a problem on set. It happens in both modes and we tried using different stiffness settings and some other stuff but still no solution.
    Looking forward for your answers.
    Thanks.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

sarp welcome to the forums. If the MoVI is sitting in a stand or stationary it will drift. Technically I think it is the precession that is inherent in most electronic gyros. It is not an issue when using the MoVI.

3. sarp karaer

sarp karaer New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. But what would you suggest for that issue. The operator takes the movi and sets the frame but it drifts not a very big drift of course but even this small drift disturbs the dop. Any solution?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

One thought would be be to use the Controller or a remote like the DX7 or equivalent and use the Mode Switch to put the MoVI in 'Kill Mode'. Downside is that the motors are in-op so everything would need to be carefully balanced and static. Other than that I'm not aware of anything else that will allow it to stay powered up and stationary without the drift.

5. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Hi Sarp,

Try changing the heading assist to "Fixed Mount" in the GUI. Then play with your remote pan and tilt windows, I have battled the drift for a long time and found that you can get it down to near 0 by playing with these settings. Also, make sure your pan axis is 100% motionless while booting up, I've used a rolled up rag wedged between the pan bar and the rig to achieve this.

Giorgio Sironi likes this.
  6. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

i wonder if target mode could fix this, but then again this only works outdoors. has anyone got target mode to work?