/dist/images/branding/favicon

Misfit Atom on the M15

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Austin Glass, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I'm starting to test the new Misfit Atom to see how it performs on the M15. I got my hands on it at NAB and at first glance it seems really solid. After seeing it again at CineGear, I finally got one and I will be testing it starting now.

Who else is using this mattebox? I've heard from a few people that have had them for a while, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter on here. I definitely think it's worthy of our consideration. Nothing out there beats it on size/weight when compared to its features.

For those that are unaware, you can learn more here. The basics is it's a 195g 2-stage mattebox, where the shade can be removed and you can use it just as a filter holder (which weighs 98g by itself).

I intend to do more testing later this week, but in the meantime, to those that have already used it, what are your thoughts?

11391386_10153372731824483_2511678423697649845_n.jpg

Peter Barta likes this.
  2. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

I used one on with red dragon and ultra primes on the m15 over the weekend, it's brilliant. So light weight, no complaints.

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I have one.

It is fantastic.

It is now on every job with me. It's simplicity and light weight design is just fantastic.

I have used it extensively on MoVI and recently, I have been using it instead of my LMB-25 for handheld.

I still enjoy using screw in filters (on some lenses), when appropriate. But, the Misfit lets me filter virtually any lens with standard filters.

It really is a great product.

4. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I agree with both opinions here. It's awesome on a MoVI and worth every penny if you want to use filters.

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I'm using it for aerial shootings and it's great.

6. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Hey Austin,
    I've had two on Badlands this past month and a half. They are a great lightweight solution that beats taping filters on. The included sun "shade" is just about worthless, so that was the first thing to to, I replaced it with a coraplast eyebrow. They are working on an eyebrow right now that will connect via their "aux port" on the back. One downside is you cant mount polarizers, but you can't have everything I guess.

The process of dropping filters is relatively simple, but can confuse people at first because of how firmly you have to press to open the clamp. Removing filters is a bit more difficult, the tray has to face down to allow the filter to fall out, if you have a camera tilted up, you have to remove the tray in order to change a filter, I've suggested a thumb notch to make this easier.

Peter Barta likes this.
  7. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

totally dig the Atom on Movi. for weight can't be beat..

the tilty "flare control" function is great, ultimately would prefer a up/down slidey function design tho.

8. Austin Glass

I ended up using it extensively on my M15 for a shoot last weekend.

I was very pleased with it, and I'm excited to keep using it more and more.

I was running a set of 4 uncoated Cooke miniS4's, which were incredible. We were shooting a scifi short, so I loved having the flares there just about any time I wanted them.

We ended up staying on the Movi for most of it, mostly for convenience. Even for the one scene I did on sticks, I still used the Atom, even though I had a competitor's full-size mattebox in the van.

My lack of a proper review stemmed from the fact that I hadn't purchased the proper mounting/rings to put this on my own set of lenses, then I went deep into post-production on a couple of projects, so I didn't have any shoots for a while. For this shoot I decided to go ahead and purchase the 15mm LWS mounting bracket for the Atom, since the lenses we used were rentals, and have two different size outer diameters (the 18mm in the set is the odd-ball, at 110mm, while all the rest are 87mm). That means I had dual 6" carbon fiber rods on the Freefly Rod Mount Adapter, which was plenty sufficient, and didn't add much weight. This arrangement also required donuts, since the opening on the Atom is 114mm.

Photo Jul 11, 7 11 07 PM.jpg

I gotta say I am loving this thing. Back in the M10 days I hated having to tell DPs that we would have to make compromises on filter choice, of worse, gaff the filters on. We just couldn't afford the size/weight. While now on the M15 a mid-size mattebox is not out of the question, it's still more weight and size than I care for, and it's a clean, professional solution to the problem of mounting our filters. It is definitely worth it to have in your kit.

9. Andrew Pulaski

Andrew Pulaski New Member

Hey Austin. I am loving the matte box. It has been an amazing investment. love how easy it is to swap ND's almost instantly! Also thanks for the amazing Flex Cable! I must need anyone flying a Dragon!

Austin Glass likes this.
  10. Austin Glass

Glad you're liking our cables! And I agree, the Atom is a must-have.

11. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

Absolutely agree: it's worth every cent spent for it. I got crazy while balancing Alexa MINI on M15 when using standard matte-box cobined with FIZ motors (especially with heavier lenses than CP2)...this solution saved me. It also has threaded clamp on rings for DSLR ...no more ugly and sticky tape to hold filters on EF lenses :)

Misfit_Atom.jpg