/dist/images/branding/favicon

shutter how does it work??

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rolf Ableiter, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

Hi,

is there someone who can explain the shutter release function?

i have a little cable for the GH4 (http://kopterworx.com/rc-shutter-for-panasonic-gh1-gh2-gh3.html) but how does it work?
    I use the DX7s and want to use the 2-way switch on (gear - wich i think is channel 5)
    i plugged the cable in the aux port and set the remote map to 5, aux type to "shutter". shutter "pulsed"

thank you!!!
    Rolf

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Rolf Ableiter

so i guess it isn't a PWM output on the aux port when set on shutter and "pulsed"?

the cable i bought is for a PWM servo output to trigger the GH4. i thought the output of the MoVI is such a servo output (because it is a servo plug)

4. Rolf Ableiter

i have a cable with resistors wich i used to trigger the GH3 with MK electronics. so i could solder a servo plug instead a minijack to this on?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....sorry, I misunderstood your question. The input to the shutter converter device will be PWM where there is a pulse sent every 20 milliseconds and the pulse will vary from 1 millisecond (off) to 2 milliseconds (trigger shutter) -- there may be a mid-point value that serves to trigger the "focus ". What comes out will be the signal that is necessary to trigger the focus or shutter mechanism of the camera. The "pulsed" to which you refer is a bit ambiguous, but I think it refers to the for how long the "trigger shutter" signal is asserted.

Andy.

6. Rolf Ableiter

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Rolf:
    Can you clarify one thing -- you're trying to operate the switch using the Aux Port on a Spektrum receiver, right? If that is the case, then you do indeed need a switch that will connect to an RC PWM output. The Quadrocopter switch you mention above is designed to operate with an MK Flight Controller by connecting to a "switch" that is just a transistor turned on or off (and is NOT a RC PWM output either).

Steve Maller runs a GH4, so I'll email him and ask him to comment on this thread as to what he uses.

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The cable I've used is this one:
    http://www.rcshutter.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

However, I do not shoot stills with my GH4 in the air. The reason for that is that when you use the HDMI output for downlink (which I use for video) the stills aspect ratio is hard-wired to 16:9 instead of 4:3, which loses a lot of resolution.

Instead, I fly my 5D Mark III with a different shutter cable when I want stills. It will shoot full-res stills in the air, when it's using the composite video output.

9. Rolf Ableiter

okay - this is exactly the cable i have bought.
    and do you use it directly at the aux output of the MoVI receiver?
    that's what i tried to do and didn't get it working...

my settings:
    map remote shutter: 5 (wich is the channel of my DX7 for "gear")
    shutter type: pulsed
    aux port function: shutter

i don't want to shoot stills - i need "start/stop" data of the shutter switch to sync the data of the shot recorder

10. Steve Maller

11. Rolf Ableiter

but what about the new shutter function in 4.01? i thought this would eliminate such DIY work... i still do not know what one need to trigger a camera with that...

12. alec_caton

alec_caton New Member

I'm with Rolf on this one..as I'm a bit confused also...

On our M5 I currently have an AR8000 powered via the SBUS to control the shutter release on our Canon 5DMKII for photographs, but this set-up (for some reason) will not roll the camera to record when we're operating with the GH4. Does this new Aux function mean I can have the same function from the SBUS without the AR8000 (to save on clutter) and if so does anyone have any suggestions or experience using the Aux Port Function...?

I've tried the same settings as Rolf with our GH4...

my settings:
    map remote shutter: 5 (wich is the channel of my DX7 for "gear")
    shutter type: pulsed
    aux port function: shutter

But unfortunately no luck...Am I getting confused with the regards to the purpose of the Aux Port Function??

Cheers chaps!

13. Steve Maller

Triggering stills is often necessary, as opposed to using a timer.
    Those triggers generally won't work for video.
    But triggering for video start/stop seems less important. For the cost of the remote setup, you could just buy a larger memory card for the camera and roll on takeoff, then stop on landing (manually). That's what I do, and I think what most folks do.

14. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Has anyone managed to use the AUX port on the Movi (labelled s.bus) in order to control a shutter release without the additional receiver?

The release notes for 4.01 say AUX Port Function, Output signal of the Aux Port when set to shutter: Pin 1 Aux port = GND, Pin 3 Aux port = Shutter input. Is this a PWM output?