/dist/images/branding/favicon

Herkules III Install & Setup Tips

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by MIke Magee, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

A great answer to everything. Thanks for clearing that up Andreas

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

OMG. I was right! :)
    Andy.

Bo Tornvig likes this.
  3. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I have a AH issue going on. It's all good when the copter is parked - but even during slow moves it is starts descending quite a lot.
    I am running the MK FC 2.5with 2,08b firmware.
    Any idea's?

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

X8 or flat 8? I had similar problems and I know a few others on this board have reported similar issues with MK on some X8 applications.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

It's a X8.

7. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I'm getting there with my X8 build. But I still have some issues. There is some nasty micro vibrations sneaking in to the camera. I have bin balancing and testing over and over again and can't get rid of it. My props is the Mejzlik 18". Normally they are very well balanced - but expensive... :eek:
    Have a look at my beast:

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Nice looking machine, and a great area to live in.
    -m

9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I purchased Herkules III Okto-XL along with 2x Herkules - PPM / I2C Breakout Board for standard servo connector and Herkules III precharge board. I am going to use them with DJI A2 (built-in receiver used).

I have Kopterworx KW12 pro motors and T-Motor 18x6,1 props. The copter frame is Airborne Mechatronics X8 from Estonia. Lipos are 6s. I am going to fly MoVI M10 and M15 and Red Epic.

Is the board truly plug & play, so I don't need to change any programming parameters of the ESC´s?

Also I have not found from the Herkules manual how throttle range calibration is done on Herkules with DJI A2. I would appreciate an answer to this predicament.

As the Herkules does not have 12v out, I am planning to use this ReadymadeRC ubec

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_514&products_id=3397

and connect it to the wire that goes from Herkules into the A2 PMU. Also I am going to connect the Herkules precharge board to the same wire. Does this sound right?

Finally, there is no need to set any kind of voltage cutoff value to Herkules right?

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Tuuka,

There is no need for calibration or to do any setting. I don't know if your Herkules is already preloaded with the firmware or not.

All you need to do is to upload firmware for every ESC channel (In your case, 8). It's documented very well in the PDF file.

Yes, you can use a Y splitter for power output of Herkules (It's at the top and in the middle of ESC) and put a UBEC afterwards.

11. Andreas Baier

Andreas Baier New Member

Hi Tuuka,

Herkules Okto-XL comes preprogrammed with PPM firmware, 16kHz and Timing ADV18. Each channel of the channels is programmed with a unique I2C-Address. The I2C bus is only necessarry when you are using the Herkules Telemetry interface board too. If not, you can connect only the PPM input lines to the Flight Control and thats it.

So in fact its "plug and play" for most standard motors. Only some special motors like the Tiger U7/U8 and so on migh need a higher timing like ADV24 or even better a special adjusted firmware. I this case you have to repgroamm each ESC. This is well documented in the user manual and really quickly done.

Throttle Range:
    Herkules uses a fixed throttle range from 1100 to 1900 usec pulse width. You must not adjust anything.
    The cut-off voltage in the Herkules is fixed at 7.5V and only a "self protection" threshold. The flight control has to take care about the cut off voltage!

BEC:
    You can use any BEC you trust but be carefull with ultra cheap BECs and test them thoroughly. Some have stability issues and some cause glitches. We have own BECs from 3 to 12S input voltage and fixed (5V or 12V) or variable (Vbat x 0.5) output voltages.
    Our BEC is rated form 3A continous and 6A peak. (And this is true, fully tested and guaranteed!)
    (...and its larger than a hobbycraft 5V/20A BEC ;-)

12. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your through reply.

Two more questions: KW12 pro is in fact re-branded Tiger U7 motor. So am I safe with the Timing ADV18 or should I change that to ADV 24? As told, I´m on 18x6,1 T-motor props and 6s lipos.

Secondly, are your BECs available for sale?

Thanks,
    Tuukka

13. Andreas Baier

Andreas Baier New Member

Hi,
    please use with KW12 or U7 ADV24 to be on the safe side.
    I will release in the next weeks a special software for the U7 Motors. Until then use the ADV24.

14. John Gore

John Gore Member

That is excellent news, thank you Andreas! We look forward to the new firmware for kw12 / u7 .

15. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

A question about the short wires on Herkules that are designed to feed power to flight controller. Is it OK to connect the BEC for the LEDs for that and also the Herkules pre charge board to these wires? So no need to connect these to the main lipo wires?

16. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Andreas or anyone else: I can´t connect my WIN 7 PC to Herkules in order to change the timing to ADV24.

There is no info on the manual on when to click "connect" but I did it after connecting the USB programmer to my PC and Herkules and opening the program. I have installed the UART driver succesfully.

When I click "connect", nothing happens. And the program asks me to press "reset" on the device? After a long wait, when I abort connecting, the program asks me wether I want to disconnect. Despite having no indication that the connection has happened at all.

Mysterious and very frustrating. Any help is appreciated. Pleas see attached photos for clarification.

Attached Files:

17. Andreas Baier

Andreas Baier New Member

Yes, these wires are directly connected to the main battery supply wires soldered on the board. They are especially for suppling the flight control or any other stuff like BECs or else.

18. Andreas Baier

Andreas Baier New Member

Hello Tuukka,
    if you read the user manual carefully the programming sequence is exactly described.
    A "reset" is a simple switch off and swith on of the supply voltage. Thats all!

Short sequence:
    1) disconnect power from Herkules
    2) connect USB programming cable to PC and Herkules
    3) Select in Programming Tool the Channel (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H)
    4) Select in the Programming Tool the desired Software (incl. Timing, frequency)
    5) Press "Programm"
    6) Do mysterieous Reset (switch power on e.g. connect battery)
    7) Programming is done
    8) Repeat from step 3) until all channels are programmed.

19. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Andreas. Thanks. I found out that the problem was a dead battery I tried to power the Herkules with.

Another question. When the rar file is extracted, there are two possible folder options: Herkules_ESC and Herkules_ESC_silent.

In Herkules only folder, in the PPMT -> AF1 -> kHz16 -> AVD 24 folder there are M01--M16 options available. (M stands for Motor I presume).

In Herkules silent folder, in the PPMT 1100_900_+0% -> AF1 -> kHz16 -> AVD 24 folder there are M01--M08 options available.

Which ones should I choose? I am not using telemetry interface, just the PPM signals to the DJI A2 controller.

And why the folders are called PPMT becausethe T sounds like telemetry? Should it not be just PPM as per instructions.

Attached are screen grabs of the two folders in question.

Thanks,
    Tuukka

Attached Files:

20. Andreas Baier

Andreas Baier New Member

The "Silent" folter contains a special software for with "no startup melody" after power on. It does only a short "beep".
    For this software only 8 Motor addresses are available yet. If necessary, i can generate more files also.

Standard o the PPMT software. "T" stands for Telemetry. This is historical when we had 2 different variants with and without telemetry.
    Meanwhile only Telemetry capable firmware is available.