/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 HDMI out for FPV

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, May 5, 2014.

1. Matthew Lavin1

Matthew Lavin1 New Member

hi Steve, I think The 4K 24.0 you speak of is actually NTSC 23.98 and why the converter works. When i read the specs on the converter, it wont convert a true UHD 24 frequency to analog. Any confirmation? :)

2. John Sciarrino

John Sciarrino New Member

I am back at square one again, because according to Steve my white boxes should work, I tried two of them already and no good. I threw my Sony Nex 7 on the system and it did work, but when I put on the GH4 no image. I was going to throw the NTSC/PAL switch thinking maybe mine was reversed but it works with the Nex7 so it seems if is a problem with the GH4. I hooked the cable directly from the HDMI out of the GH4 to the monitor and I get picture. I am baffled.

3. Matthew Lavin1

Matthew Lavin1 New Member

i think you need to go in to camera settings and check TV connection to HDMI mode to auto?

4. John Sciarrino

Mathew, Yes, I have tried it both ways. I will take a look at the whole system again and see if I am missing anything. I have always wanted to go with HD downlink and then not have to worry about converting the HDMI but most options are really expensive. I even heard that DJI's Lightbridge can interfere with the flight control signal. Then there is Connair, Parralinx and then there is something for about $600 called teradek Clip, a transmitter that transmits WiFi to your tablet and with a booster is good for 100 yards. Thoughts anyone?

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I vaguely recall there is some kind of voodoo with the order in which things get powered up. Like I said, it just works for me. But maybe that's because I do it in the right order (if that's it at all).

6. John Sciarrino

Maybe I have to wear my old F550 on my head and do it? :- )

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think Steve has trademarked that... :)

Andy

8. Steve Maller

My lawyer will be in touch. :mad:

9. John Sciarrino

OK, not worth the legal expense, I will respect your copyright.
    Instead I will try to power the white box, I have never spliced into the usb cables they come with,
    is there any trick to it? Hopefully the wires will be color coded. I will splice red into the 5v out on my Immersion 600mw,
    should I splice into the ground on the Immersion also?

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Kane Aston

Kane Aston New Member

I have been testing the GH4 HDMI out with much frustration. So far I have found the following testing with firmware version 2.2:
    HDMI out works in CINEMA (24.00Hz) or NTSC (59.94Hz) system frequency. When set to PAL (50.00Hz) the HDMI out ONLY works in playback. If you are having trouble getting the HDMI live view working, make sure the system frequency is set to either CINEMA or NTSC and that you have the latest (2.2) firmware installed.

Setting the system frequency can be found on P220 of the user manual
    http://service.us.panasonic.com/opermanpdf/DMCGH4_ADV.pdf

Your mileage may vary!

11. Nicholas White

Nicholas White New Member

12. Nicholas White

Also running in NTSC and with 2.2 firmware ^^^

13. Steve Maller

The Amazon description clearly says this converter is for the Sony NEX cameras. My guess it's not compatible with the GH4. HDMI is a standard, sometimes. Sometimes not.

14. Nicholas White

Thanks for the fast reply Steve. Any idea as to why it works in the menu screen and not live video? Looks like I will be buying one of those white boxes. Do any of them have mini HDMI ports in them? From the photos I see there all standard size.

15. Steve Maller

The menu screens are probably lowres.
    All the converters I've seen are full size HDMI.

16. Nicholas White

I am now able to have a live view with the white box.

There is still one big problem. When taking aerial photos i can only shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio which is 12 megapixels....not 16 in 4:3 aspect ratio. I see that others are having this complaint but it seems as if nothing has been done to correct this problem? VERY disappointed id this is the case as my clients want high resolution photos.

17. Steve Maller

Yup, doesn't work.

18. TJ_Sheridan

TJ_Sheridan New Member

Regarding getting live standard definition video from the GH4, Steve Maller said:

That's not entirely true. I bought a second GH4 so that I could try doing 3D stereo time lapses in 4K, and in the manual for this sync controller I bought I found a secret feature! The GH4 can output a standard definition signal from the AV port, but it doesn't do it "by default". If you plug into that port, you'll get no picture unless you hit "play". However, there's a trick. If you turn on your GH4 and hold down the "trash can" button for five seconds, it will activate that AV output port during live view.

EDIT: Live Video out works with this trick, but you can't record while in live mode. :(
    -------

Anybody else here excited about the G7? I just ordered one. If the video is good as the GH4, I'm gonna be stoked out of my mind. Seriously, the price is mind-blowing. $800 and you get a free $200 lens? So the camera is basically $600. And if you order from Adorama, you get a free $250 boom mic! So that makes the camera $350, and reviewers are saying the 4k video is as good as the GH4. Only thing you're losing is the weather sealing and frame rates above 60 FPS in HD... and of course the possibility of V-Log, assuming Panasonic ever actually released the V-Log firmware. But you're shedding something like 130 grams of weight! So, it's not such a bad trade-off!

Man, this market moves fast!

19. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Hey TJ, did you purchase an A/V cable for your GH4 or did you use the supplied USB canle andmodify that?

20. TJ_Sheridan

TJ_Sheridan New Member

I used the Lumix AV cable. It's part number DMW-AVC1. Search Amazon for that part number and you'll find it. You'll also get some other clone cables for a little less, but I just bought the Panasonic cable. It's like $8.