/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 HDMI out for FPV

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, May 5, 2014.

1. Tommy Hankinson

Tommy Hankinson New Member

Hey Gary Haynes and Steve Maller,
    Can you please show us a picture of your converted Amazon boards and where you applied the 5V. Also, what are the dimensions of that board with it's box removed. Thanks for the help.

Anthony Bostock likes this.
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Tommy Hankinson

Tommy Hankinson New Member

Hey Gary,
    Thanks for responding but the link you supplied does not work. Can you try again. Also, what is the voltage input range for the board? Is it a strict 5v or do you think it could cope with 5.6v? Thanks again.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Tommy, the link works fine for me. I'd say you're better off with a very stable voltage source. That's not too hard to do. I've done a similar mod inspired by Gary's example on 3 of these and they've all worked fine. You definitely need to power them. I've never been able to get the GH4 to kick out enough power to light up one of these things. Not sure, but it might be the super skinny ultra flex HDMI cables I use. But getting voltage to one of these isn't that hard.

5. John Sciarrino

John Sciarrino New Member

I see the last post was about a month ago. I just acquired a Movi M10 and want to fly a GH4 on it. I use the Immersion RC 5.5ghz 600mw and I use this HDMI converter:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092KN0AG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
    The system works with my Nex 7 but not with the GH4. From what I have been reading it has to do with the GH4 outputting 1080p and 1080i is needed, is that correct? So, I need to get another converter, like one of the ones linked earlier? Those two were out of Europe what can I get in the states? Thanks

6. John Sciarrino

Or, perhaps I can use the converter referenced above but I need to power it? I never did that with the Nex 7. Thanks

7. Paul Reilly

Paul Reilly New Member

John, I'm using a GH4 with the Immersion RC 5.8Ghz. I tried 2 of the Amazon white boxes, but couldn't get either to work (though others have said they do....). Those white boxes are all cheaply-made badly spec'd knock-offs, and it's a total lottery. In the end I went with Kopterworx http://kopterworx.com/hdmi-to-av-converter-mini-immerrsion-ready.html
    Expensive, but their tech support assured me it would work. And it does. No external power needed.
    Good luck, Paul www.redcopters.co.uk

8. John Sciarrino

Paul, thanks so much for the post and so quickly. Yes, those white boxes are hit and miss, I've had a few that don't work at all.
    I will try the kopterworx one.

9. John Sciarrino

Out of stock, I also should try to find one in the states, maybe someone else will recommend one

10. Paul Reilly

Paul Reilly New Member

Maybe phone Kopterworx and ask them about the stock situation. I can't understand how Kopterworx seems to be the only supplier in the world to have a reliable solution to this problem!

11. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

12. John Sciarrino

Hi Stef, Looks like that is the same white box ones we were talking about earlier. They work, sometimes, with my Sony Nex 7 but not with the Pannasonic GH4. Unless this one is different and does work with the GH4, is that what you are saying? Do you use this with the GH4?

13. John Sciarrino

I was just told by a company here in the US that all I have to do is use the USB video out port on the GH4. I don't need to convert the HDMI

14. Steve Maller

That's wrong. The video out port only works for playback off the memory card. Won't work for live video feed. :cool:

15. Matthew Lavin1

Matthew Lavin1 New Member

Hey guys, first, i've never had an issue with the white box option. I did notice that certain HDMI cables need to be used to power the converter. Not all cables will power the converter straight from camera. Also, i have found that the box won't convert anything that isn't in PAL or NTSC. That being said the UHD(cinema 24fps) won't convert to analog because the box won't except that frequency.

16. John Sciarrino

Steve, can you recommend an HDMI converter that will work?

17. John Sciarrino

I am using the Hyperthin cable

18. Matthew Lavin1

I have my own problem now. Does anyone know if there is a converter that will convert the UHD (cinema 24)? I'm not sure what the options are. Does lightbridge convert cinema 24? My client is demanding it. Any links are appreciated.

19. Matthew Lavin1

me too??

20. Steve Maller

The Amazon white box converters I've bought (one was black actually) have worked fine. I lost one in a crash, had one go missing somewhere, and the 3rd is still on my MōVI. I've used them in 1080P (23.976) and 4K (24.0) and they work fine. I generally don't use UHD but I don't see why that wouldn't work, too. I did notice the last one's NTSC/PAL switch was reversed. Took a few minutes of Vulcan mind meld to suss that one out. o_O