/dist/images/branding/favicon

MR (M10) with cinestar 8 and GH4

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Rolf Ableiter, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I also checked video, there is no oscillation; it's more like Movi is not doing stabilization as it should. Changing dampers is another option as Andy points.

Can you use the gimbal hand held and see if you still have this shaking problem?

2. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

yes - no oscillation. unstable :(
    Ozkan, is this similar to what you got with the GH4 and 12-35 lens?

just a thought: this was the first flight with the new firmware and heading assist "GPS".

3. Rolf Ableiter

i did reset to default settings and started from there.
    i autotuned the gimbal while with the copterframe on top while hanging (as i always do since i used the radians in 2012).
    it seems to me, that it is stable but i didn't test it while flying. Next i'll try to get better gains with the wkm system while flying.
    today is bad weather - hopefully tomorrow... i think wkm is the key.
    Ozkan: your gyro and output filter settings are the same settings i had before i changed to the settings i posted.
    i think these filters are similar to "gyro trust". lower = more trust, higher = lower trust. i think 5 is to high but 1 (wich i had) is to low.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have a GoPro and mount, put it on the copter in such a way that you can observe the gimbal during flight. It will help you identify if the copter itself is "twitching" or whether it's the gimbal.

Andy.

5. Pablo Barrera

Pablo Barrera Member

Hey Rolf,
    I have the same issue with my MoVI m10.
    Flying 7d with a 24mm lense on it. Your issue cannot be weight as the canon is considerably heavier than the gh4 yet I am having the same problems. Mainly on tilt axis. I was getting better results lifting the dji ronin. At the price the MOvI is at a camera being too light should not be a problem we as professional videographers should be faced with. The only attractive part of the MOvI is that it is less than half the weight of the ronin. If we have to add weight to make the sensor happy/motors happy at a selling price of around 10k when it first came out then what is the point? I am slowly getting closer to having it perfect however it has been quite a journey. This is how I did it.
    1) for aerial stuff I do not find that auto tune works....it just doesn't....no surprise there however to be fair it does not really work on the ronin.
    Suspend your copter and manually take all your motor stiffness high as you can without oscillation.on all axis (Please make sure you are in airborne mode)
    Then go into your motor hold strength and take that up as much as you can without oscillations. On all axis
    Fly copter...only in a hover at first...check out your results. Post that and we can take it from there.
    We I'll get through this Rolf...we are rowing in the same boat.
    Good luck

Rolf Ableiter likes this.
  6. Rolf Ableiter

thank you!!!!!
    we have bad weather here in my area but i will do some tests as fast as i can.

7. Pablo Barrera

Pablo Barrera Member

No problem Rolf...one last thing I forgot to mention...while copter is suspended you should do 1 more test before flying.
    Set up copter so that you can test each axis on movi by swinging the copter in a certain direction....
    For example tilt....
    To ensure I have the highest possible setting before doing field testing I will rock my copter on tilt axis engaging the movi to only compensate on tilt. While it is rocking back and forth (this may sound a bit crazy but it worker really well with all the alexmos gimbals I built and tuned) take your finger and flick it at the tilt tray while the copter is rocking back forth... This ensures that your stiffness/motor hold strength is high but not so high that if it gets hit with wind it will not cause oscillations that you would otherwise not see/get on the ground.
    Hope this helps....hope you get better weather soon.

8. Rolf Ableiter

Hi Pablo, thats exactly how i do and did it (also with alexmos stuff) - i think my gyro filter value was to low (1) - now i am back on 2 and i shaked the copter in all axis' to test how the MoVI is working. looks good s far...
    i changed the props of my cinestar 8 (short booms) from 14x4 to 13x6,5 (i heard this will improve the stability of the copter) and will check the gains of the WKM.
    thanks a lot!
    Rolf

9. Nejc Slatner

Nejc Slatner New Member

I am having the same issues, the only difference is that I would like to fly Red Epic. I've managed to tune it quite well, only roll remains shaky mystery. Pablo, if you look at the realtime data under the motor, are all of your lines behaving the same? In my case, roll has a bit more ups and downs and couple of random twiches.

Rolf, try to tune your copter with highest gains as possible. It helped a bit on my x8 with WKM. But maybe I have to try to go even higher with WKM gains.

Here is my sample shot of M10 + Epic with IS of and IS on.

10. Rolf Ableiter

i think the key is the wkm. I fly mine in Atti mode (no GPS) and for example the copter isn't going straight forward when i push it. It is slightly going left/right... I have an inspire 1 here and this copter is flying stable like nothing i had before.
    so hope these problems are gone with the ALTA...

11. Pablo Barrera

Pablo Barrera Member

Rolf,
    I took my 7d and put a tokina 11-16 lens on it and fiddled with gyro input and filter output settings.
    This allowed me to stiffen up my settings even more. Final result,
    Worked almost perfectly. My footage is now almost flawless. I too thought it may have been the vibration dampeners or something else. Found my solution in input/filter tabs. Once you adjust these you can go back and stiffen things up significantly.
    Let me know how it goes. I don't mean to interrupt on the information you are getting from the freely guys. they know best, just figured I would share my experience with you. Good luck, let us know it goes.

Rolf Ableiter likes this.
  12. Rolf Ableiter

i still have problems in tuning the MR10 with the GH4.
    i wish i could get stable pictures like the ones from my inspire one (i hate to say this...). This thing is stable even in hard wind...

i tried different settings with gyro filter, output filter, stiffness, etc. i still have an unstable picture (all axis).

can someone post the settings of a M10 (multirotor) with GH4 and 1235 lens?

do you think the freefly cage for M10 will help to get better results?

thanks!!!!!
    Rolf

Multirotor: cinestar 8 with short booms, 13x6,5" Xoar Props, herkules 3, wkm with updated Alu IMU, futaba RX/TX
    MR10 (no cage) with lumix GH4 and 1235 panasonic lens

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Rolf: The M10 cage will definitely help because it allows for a much more solid mechanical coupling between the camera and the MōVI -- the net effect of that is that when you autotune, you'll get higher tilt stiffness values and the M10 becomes more responsive.

Andy.