/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly MIMIC / MOMENTS in NYC

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Tim Sessler, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a MIMIC prototype and test it out for the last week. I honestly have to say that this is probably one of the biggest game changers since the MoVI was first announced. The results are absolutely perfect and operating has never been easier (and fun). Its as immersive as good VR, its as intuitive as a point and shoot camera and as precise as it could be. Complicated tracking shots that would have been difficult with the MoVI controller are now easily doable and adding a handheld feel to stabilized motion that comes out of the MoVI has been a dream for a long time. Well done Freefly! :)

Here is the result of our run'n'gun shoot all around NYC:

2. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

And here are some more BTS reaction shots:

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Stunning work (as usual), Tim. :)

4. Markus Mueller

Hi guys,
    Nice work - it might sound stupid- but how does mimic work ? Is it a piece of hardware added to my Movi or just a firmware update on my Movi Controller ?
    So - can I use it without controller, or is it an extra to the joystick?

Thank - Markus

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Think of MIMIC as a head tracker (if you know what that is) that you hold in your hand. The images you've seen are a little misleading. The actual MIMIC is very small...not much bigger than a wristwatch. And it doesn't require a monitor and a wireless video link, but it's sort of useless without it. So the rig everybody's using like the top handle of a MōVI but with the MōVI missing. :)

It basically controls the MōVI through the same 2.4ghz link that the Spektrum or MōVI Controller does. But it doesn't require either of them to use it.

6. Markus Mueller

Thanks for the answer !
    The only part I don't get is the point about the upgrade of the controller for free with a new firmware when you still have the buy the same hardware everybody does ?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Markus: The MIMIC is an alternative controller for the MōVI (alternative to the Spektrum or MōVI Controller) -- but instead of using control sticks to pan, tilt, and roll the camera on the MōVI, you use the MIMIC.

The MIMIC sensor pack is attached to a pair of handles and a cross bar. So, using the handles you "fly" the MōVI in a completely intuitive way. The MIMIC also has a video receiver and monitor so you can see the video coming from the camera on the MōVI.

You can pretend that the camera mounted on the MōVI is actually mounted on the MIMIC. Of course, it's not, so the guy holding the MōVI can be running away from you dodging people, trees, cars, etc. as you stand still and fly the camera with the MIMIC.

Does that help clarify?
    Andy.

8. Markus Mueller

Hi Andy,

It does clarify all. Wow.
    Thanks a lot for the info.

Best Markus

9. Andres Torres

Andres Torres New Member

I'm curious about the roll axis...can you define limits or keep the horizon level if you like? Do the same smoothing/window settings apply on the configurator?

10. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

The firmware update for the MōVI Controller will include MIMIC functionality with no additional hardware to buy, since the Controller already has the necessary hardware built in. (So you can control the MōVI by moving the Controller, either by hand or on a fluid head tripod to turn it into a panbar.) Should be out at the same time as the MIMIC Betas start shipping.

The MIMIC Beta is a separate piece of hardware that works as Andy described above. It's mounted to a lightweight handlebar and has a place to mount a monitor.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just to further clarify -- the video system is something that you have to add to the MIMIC -- the MIMIC is just to controller.

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Andres: Sorry -- I don't know the answer. I'll see if I can find out unless someone else responds.

Andy

13. Shane Colton

Shane Colton New Member

Yes, you can turn the roll axis on or off and configure Majestic settings (window/smoothing) from the Configurator App.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member