/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 5d Mark III and 16-35 lens on M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Bryan Vaughan, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

We have an M10 and use a Mark III with 16-35 regularly. It weighs 3.8 lbs, which is under the M5's stated 5lb payload. However, that set up is a little front heavy.

Is anyone using the M5 with this set up? Any feedback on how it works?

We are ordering an M5 today so thanks in advance for responses.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I've used that combo extensively on my M5 both on the ground and in the air, and it works great.

3. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Also works fine with the 24-70. I generally balance at the focal length I plan to use most often but it can handle you throwing the zoom and still stabilize. The motors will work harder to compensate for the camera being off weight which is why you should optimize for the most used focal length.

4. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

We are trying to use it but the problem we have is the zoom ring is set too far back to get out Microremote to the ring, any ideas smart people.

Thanks,
    J

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Using a longer 15mm carbon rod would solve your problem I guess?

6. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thanks for the reply Ozkan...No room even with the Freely rod adapter the focus ring is set too far back once we pull the camera far enough forward to gain access our balance is out and we are maxed on payload so can't even add some offset weights to the back side. I want someone to make focus rings that are offset just for this reason. Anyone else out there found a work around?

Thanks All,
    J

7. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

USB Follow Focus. It is very light weight as its just a USB cable coming from the camera. Not nearly as good as other options for focus and currently no cheap wireless solutions.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  8. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for the feedback. Do these remotes work on racking zoom? I could not see a setting on them for zoom. Is there a brand you have used I found a few? They don't have to be exact as we just want to change focal length while airborne.

Thanks Sir,
    J

9. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I am not totally sure what you are referring to by racking zoom. I have only used two devices, one of which i sold that do USB follow focus.

The one I kept is http://www.okii.net/product_p/fc1.htm. With this USB controller you can start and stop recording, take photos, tweak settings and set focus. You can set 4 predefined focus points as well as turn the knob, and use 2 other buttons to jog focus. Focus points will only remain accurate as long as you do not zoom the lens.

I know someone else on here purchased the manfrotto USB follow focus. Seems more suitable for the Movi and I may invest in one myself. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rol_for.html?gclid=CLq79LSCxcICFciEfgoddVAA9A It doesn't have as much functions but the switch might be more usable with a thumb.

Currently neither of these are wireless. For a truly wireless solution I came across this http://www.lockcircle.com/kcircle/ but it is so expensive that I have never even considered it. A kit would run you $1699

I have been using hte Okii one for years. It works wonderfully for what I do.

10. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Nicolas,

Just as when you change your focus with our Microremote we want to change our focal length on our zoom., that is what I meant by racking our zoom. Thanks for the link I cannot see zoom features available unless it is an electronic zoom and we need wireless for flight. Thanks for the idea I appreciate your input. I would use the redneck Microremote but the zoom ring is set too far back for us to get our MR to mount. Tried everything what we need is an offset focus ring that would place the focus ring further up the lens. Sounds simple but I am sure I am making it very complicated.

Thanks for your help,
    J

11. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Ah. Yes. You cannot change zoom with these devices. Only focus.

12. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

Does anyone have advice on how to Power a transmitter for wireless monitor controls while using there DSLR on a movi?

13. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

I just answered this on the other page for you. We split one of our Lipo's and send one lead to the Transmitter. we use the Movi Lipo as it doesn't use much juice. Hope this helps

J