/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS8 HL Movi 70-200mm lens?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Andrew Hewson, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Hey all,

Just wondering if people have tried [and successfully] used telephoto lens with UAV?

What's the biggest useable focal length you have used? And do you leave the USM image stabiliser on or off?

Would be cool to see any footage people have shoot along these lines.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I doubt you could properly secure a 70-200 (Canon at least) to a MōVI, plus it's a super heavy lens. I believe a while back in the early days of the MōVIs Tabb did some testing with a Canon 100mm prime lens and the results were really cool. And I know others have used that length for aerials. Maybe Henning?

I've used the Panasonic GH4 with the 12-35 lens at the 35 end (70mm equivalent) and the results were really interesting. Very different (and cool) perspective. Didn't get the MōVI tuned perfectly so the results were a little shaky, but very promising.

3. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

The 70-200 works great on a Movi on the ground. I've never flown the setup with our CS8 HL though. I used this setup from a motorcycle side car setup tracking a bicycle messenger through the streets of downtown SF fog a Google commercial. The results were quite good even when I pushed in to 150mm. We were just looking for "moments" so it wasn't 100% perfect all the time, but we definitely got some amazing shots.

Edit: Balancing the Movi perfectly is key when you're using a lens like the 70-200 because there is so much weight away from the COG. Also, be sure to lock your desired focal length and focus distance in before you spend too much time balancing it.

[​IMG]

Andrew Hewson and Steve Maller like this.
  4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Well shut my mouth. :)

5. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Did you leave the image stabilisation on?

6. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

This is the 70-200 without IS.

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I flew with 50mm super 16 lens on a BMPCC, which is almost 135 mm on 35mm full frame sensor. There are noticable small movements but once you stabilise the footage, you get some decent footage. So, it's better to shoot at higher resolutions to give some room for post stabilisation.