/dist/images/branding/favicon

KDE 5215 435kv Coax MK Octo

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ryan McMaster, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Hi Alex I.ve been using 40
    [/quote]

Hi Alex,
    I've been using coax, WKM + Tmotor 4014 330 kv for 3+years.
    Recomendation :
    For lighter set up(GH4) 16X6(top), 16X8(bottom)
    For heavy set up(BMCC4K) 18X6(top), 18X8(bottom)
    Xoar wood(thin electric prop) for better stability
    Tmotor CF for better flight time
    I preffere xoar(thin electric prop) for aggresive manuvers/high wind situation
    custom motor mixer are better compared to standart wkm version

Ary

Alex Smart likes this.
  2. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Here's my set up:
    Y6, KDE 5215 330kv, KDE 55A esc, Tmotor wood 20x6(top), 20x8(bottom).
    It flies very well in high wind
    2X pulse 6000mah35C. With light camera(GH4) I got 8 min.
    22X6 Tmotor wood prop/Xoar for heavy set up rig. I dont recomend using larger than 22, too hot

I preffered to use lower kv motor to keep esc & motor at low temp as much as I can. Im Living in a tropical country, with 32-36 C temp, 95+ humidity at daytime

another plus using lower kv :
    - Longer flight time, able to use smaller battery
    - less battery sag during pull up

Video :

Ary

Attached Files:

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

[/quote]
    Not Michael but here's some info. The 4120's come in two packages. You can get them in 400kv or 465kv. The 465kv package draw's too much current for the MK BL's to handle. The 4120 400kv's are what I run and are perfectly safe. I fly both DJI Wookong and MK electronics. Since you are running X8 with A2 the 465's should be good enough with the tiger T60A ESC's. The Air40A ESC's are good enough for the 400KV motors. I never flew a X8 in DJI configuration (all my builds are flat 8_ so I can't help with the mixer settings there.

Alex Smart likes this.
  4. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Not Michael but here's some info. The 4120's come in two packages. You can get them in 400kv or 465kv. The 465kv package draw's too much current for the MK BL's to handle. The 4120 400kv's are what I run and are perfectly safe. I fly both DJI Wookong and MK electronics. Since you are running X8 with A2 the 465's should be good enough with the tiger T60A ESC's. The Air40A ESC's are good enough for the 400KV motors. I never flew a X8 in DJI configuration (all my builds are flat 8_ so I can't help with the mixer settings there.[/quote]

Hi Dave,
    I´ve been running some ecalc with the two versions,10kg AUW,16Abatt.
    4120-400kv will hover at 14.33A and 78% throttle.
    4120-465 will hover at 13.56A and 54% throttle.
    I´m a lomg term MK user, 2.0 version, and I´m a bit scary about the ESC temps, but in theory, and by Ecalc, 4120-465 are doable with a 40A TM ESC, wich can run 40A continuous and 60A peak..what do you recon?I´m attaching files.
    Just a bit concerned about the flight times, 7 min seams very low!
    Regards
    ECALC 400.jpg ECALC 465.jpg

5. Dave King

Hi Dave,
    I´ve been running some ecalc with the two versions,10kg AUW,16Abatt.
    4120-400kv will hover at 14.33A and 78% throttle.
    4120-465 will hover at 13.56A and 54% throttle.
    I´m a lomg term MK user, 2.0 version, and I´m a bit scary about the ESC temps, but in theory, and by Ecalc, 4120-465 are doable with a 40A TM ESC, wich can run 40A continuous and 60A peak..what do you recon?I´m attaching files.
    Just a bit concerned about the flight times, 7 min seams very low!
    Regards
    View attachment 7588 View attachment 7589 [/quote]
    Alex

With 16 inch props, in 80 degree weather at 2500 feet elevation I'm seeing 56-58% hover at 11.7KG with the 4120 400kv's.

6. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I just burned a KDE 5315 435kv motor on a Herkules III board with 18" TM-props, flying a RED Scarlet at 15kg on 6s 10000x2.
    We have bin flying all day and suddenly smoke came out of one motor. I was able to land without breaking anything.

Do I run the right prop/motor/weight combination?

7. Dave King

Bo those motors with 18 inch props are spec'ed to have 3160 grams of thrust at 50% throttle which should be enough to lift 25KG. Even removing 20% thrust in X8 combination for inefficiency purposes that should be enough to fly 20K and still be at 50% throttle. That's a huge motor, and it looks like your motors should only need 37% throttle to hover 15KG (flat 8) and still way under 50% for X8. Is it possible the motor/props are a bit too much for your weight? Looks like you might only need 16 inch props at that weight.

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Can you please post some pics of the burned motor? Maybe Patrick from KDE would give some ideas on this issue.

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

The 5215-435s have been bullet proof for us. What conditions were you flying in? Is it possible debris got lodged between the bell and stator restricting the motor? Causing it to burn. It has happened to us on one occasion some years ago.

10. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

We had perfect flying conditions - dead calm wind and 15-20 C. Unfortunately I don´t have a GPX file as I forgot to put the card in. Stupid me :-(
    Here is some shots of the motor. The bell looks fine with no burning marks.

Attached Files:

11. Howard Dapp

looks like that motor's windings shorted out...not good. Keep us updated

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. That's definitely a toasted motor, I'm afraid.
    Andy.

13. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I just had a similar issue Bo. I just replaced all my old 75amp KDE escs with the newer black aluminum case escs. I flew around front back and side to side, medium climb outs and then the clockwise death yaw. When I yawed the copter the bottom front right motor stopped spinning and had smoke blowing out of it. The esc burned as well. There is no visible damage to the wiring or soot on the frame where it might have arced. Only scorch marks on the motor windings and the esc smells like black smoke. Any ideas?

14. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

pics of burned parts

Attached Files:

15. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

It's hard to see with the motor bell on, but the windings are scorched on opposite sides of the motor.

Attached Files:

16. Howard Dapp

Man this is NOT good. I'm flying that exact setup. First question, Is there a reason why you changed out the older KDE 75A for the newer versions? I know the new versions have the aluminum case and newer FW with regenerative braking but the older version controllers can also be updated with the new firmware. Did the motor burn during the first flight with the new controllers?

Second question, is the bell able to spin freely on the burned motor? A complete 360-degree spin?

17. Howard Dapp

Bo, any word from Patrick at KDE?

18. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I changed because I live in Texas and the new aluminum cases offer better cooling. The Esc and motor burned on the first flight. The other escs and motors were cool to the touch. The culprits were too hot to handle. The motor won't spin 360 of you flick the prop like the other motors do. I have a spare motor and have another Esc arriving today. Trying to wait to hear from Patrick before I make another attempt...

19. Howard Dapp

@Sam and Bo, Assuming you're flying a coaxial setup, is the burned motor a top or bottom? Can you inspect the motor and confirm that the stator retaining pin is still in place? See top photo. On some 5215 motors the pin is easily seen and on others it's further down in the slot. In the attached photo with the red marking, originally uploaded by Bo, the pin cannot be seen. The 2nd photo is my motor where the retaining pin can be seen.

I once had an issue with a 5215 motor where this retaining pin dropped out some how, I didn't realize it until one day I just happen to be testing props on the bench and noticed that the stator would rotate a few degrees when the motor spooled up! You could really see the stator movement when regenerative braking kick it! Kind of like pressing the brakes in your car and the caliper rotated a few degrees with the rotor. I can imagine that over time the loose stator would eventually damage the power leads at the exit point at the bottom of the motor causing a short. I never reported it to KDE, just replaced the motor with the backup that I had. I hope Patrick is reading this.

It may be requested that you keep this issue out of the forums until it is resolved, please keep us all updated.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

20. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

My motor failure was a bottom motor on coax. Would this stator pin drop cause an ESC burn out? The stator pin is visible on my burned motor. All my wiring looks to be in good condition. I don't think anything arced on the carbon fiber frame in my situation.