/dist/images/branding/favicon

Red rock micro AUTOMATIC Focus unit

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Senthil Nathan, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Senthil Nathan

A remote follow focus unit for a single operator. Looks exciting. Any thoughts? (it's from Red rock BTW.)

2. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

I think its a great idea as I find myself needing to pull focus by myself a lot. Would love to have something like that.
    But my experience being around Red Rock's current focus system is not good. The AC's I've worked within this area do not like using it as it can have a delay, battery life has been short and can be glitchy. Hoping they improve their system.

3. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Reading the above, I have to add that I have been very happy with my wireless Redrock Microremote. For the value, this is one amazing piece of gear. I do not have the Red Microtape, but I have the rest of the kit including the fingerwheel controller.
    I understand RR had an earlier version. I purchased mine about 9 months ago. No delay, no glitches, long range, battery life is great.

Batteries: Batteries required are just a couple of AAs. I usually put in a set at the beginning of each day, BUT they give me a clear warning flash when they are low and need to be replaced.
    Handcontroller: Long range. Last Wednesday it held 500' through a throng of people (close to 300 ppl).
    FreeFly MoVI controller: Works great with RR focus. I use the focus control knob on the FF controller for small crews and corporate shoots. I generally dedicate an AC to focus though and use the RR hand controller.
    Motor: I use the RR motor all the time. It is small and lightweight which is a big advantage in eliminating weight for MoVI use. My motor does have a little bit of play in the gear, but it is generally not noticeable. Now it is not what I'd call high torque, but it sure moves still glass fine and my smooth cine glass.
    3rd party Motors: For heavy duty applications I pair it with a Heden M26VE motor. A good example of this is when I need to turn a stiff Superspeed. The great thing about RR is that their system and cables hook right up to this Heden digital motor.

I have seen some ACs roll their eyes when I pull out my RR. I usually win them over pretty quick. Sure it doesn't have snap-on focus rings for every lens like a Preston, but RR is no where near the price (and weight) of a Preston. With RR, once I mark a ring, my marks usually hold through power cycles of the basestation including auto calibrating the lens after power up.
    Back to MoVI use, at times I have been forced to use a Preston and motors by request. The Preston MDR is almost half the size and weight of my stripped down Red Dragon that I fly on the MoVI. The Preston motors and iris rod couplings are somewhat heavy and bulky too. The lightest Preston motor is still heavier than my Heden M26VE.
    If your AC complains, let him or her hold the MoVI for awhile. Especially mine with Dragon, LMB, and SSpeeds. They will get it pretty quick...that is, the need to go lightweight that RR affords.
    Finally, if I have managed to get your attention, please remember to be kind to your ACs. I DO understand when an AC wants to go with something they already know. They are the most overworked, over stressed guys/girls on set. Usually they are the one dept. that needs more staff than what is allotted.
    All the best,
    lael

4. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Hey Lael, No offense meant to your gear. The couple of units I have worked with did not work properly. Wasn't comparing it to a preston either. The units are probably over a year old I am guessing.

5. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Oh no worries. No offense taken at all. I too heard various complaints about RR's earlier generations. From my experience with the current gen, I just had to say how good it is and how happy I am with it. RR did a good job with it.
    Yeah sorry if I got off on the Preston tangent. I just face that a lot in my market. For going lightweight on the MoVI though, it is not a friendly option.
    I should mention that I have had success with Bartech's BDR FStop wireless. The FStop is very lightweight. Also the Chrosziel MagNum works well. The MagNum receiver is only 0.58 lbs. I have not tried CMotion.
    All the best,
    lael

6. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hi Jim,

The microRemote system has gone through a number of improvements since it was first released (including a new 2.0 firmware) and it's a solid performer on all the points you mentioned.

If you have any units that you think are under-performing, please contact support@redrockmicro.com

And thanks Lael, we appreciate all the good info!

Thanks,
    AJ

7. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Sure. Always happy to refer solutions that work. Again I really appreciate RR's ability to work with other motors as well.

BTW, I just learned about your flex cables. I discovered them by word of mouth. When I look at the RR wireless Micro-remote Cables section on your website though, I don't see the flex cable options listed. It might be a thought to include the flex options on the Micro-remote Cables accessories pages. I am immediately ordering the flex cable for the finger-wheel.

I have your RR PowerPak and use it extensively. I sure could use a flex cable from the variable power 2 pin output on the PowerPak to Mini USB for powering my Paralinx. I see you have the flexCable - powerPack Output - Variable Output Flying Lead 2 pin 24".
    But I need one wired 2 Pin lemo to mini USB. It's a bear to find someone to wire the flying lead correctly to a mini USB cable for power supply. Is this anything you will be adding to your options?
    Great products and thinking!
    Al the best,
    lael

8. Senthil Nathan

Yup. The flex cables are indeed something I had been waiting for a long time. Glad RR came out with it sooner than later.