/dist/images/branding/favicon

spectacular modification of M10 + carkit! with issues

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by alain baars, Mar 29, 2015.

1. alain baars

alain baars Member

Bought a M10 late 2014, it's been modified by a company in Holland.

They have done some great work!

We run into some solvable problems:

Redrock micro remote is not working as it should, red lights keep blinking after focus calibration.
    Just bought the darn thing in dec 2014.

Allthough all batteries are gone (C300/monitor/audioreceiver/focusunit), the weight of the movi has increased,
    might it be a good idea to have the Vmount on my body instead of on the rig (I don't work with second shooters anyway). Any thoughts ?

Because I am a onemanband, I want to quickly swap between a movi and a tripod, so therefor I would need a quick release. the company is working on a solution, but I would like to know if any of you are having a solution for this. The way I did it was with a Manfrotto slide plate, but I would prefer a better solution.

We're having some more issues, but I will post that in a second thread.

Attached Files:

2. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

It will get a bit heavy... :) I try to keep weight down on the frame. But also I wouldn´t use a battery on me. Anyway I always use an easyrig everytime I operate a bigger camera....
    About the FF I don´t have very good experiences with wireless Red Rock FF.

3. alain baars

alain baars Member

why wouldn't you use a battery on the body? keeps the weight down.

I know there can be some issues with RR, but when it does work, it should be reliable.
    I hope!

RR was/is the only solution with the finger wheel solution.

4. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Easy to damage the wiring coming from the battery...and also I have an obsession for safety. If something gets caught I don´t want to be dragged with the rig (moving car or something)....I had a problem when I bumped a street lamp running with a Movi and looking at the monitor. The 3rd axis boom went straight into my eye...fortunately hit the bone and didn´t went trough the eye. I would not be writting now. I fell down and couldn´t stand up but was really lucky. First thing to me when modifying something is safety....on multirotors, gimbals, cameras etc.... ;-)

5. alain baars

alain baars Member

almost a script from an action film.....

but can you tell me some more about your RR experience?

6. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Like Augusto I have had very little success with the RR follow focus.
    Try the Cinegears follow focus with Expresso thumbwheel...

7. alain baars

alain baars Member

well , I just bought it (3 months ago), so I need to get it to work, I presume there are a lot of people that have it properly working.
    I just got it integrated with the movi, so changing is not te best option right now I think

8. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Understood; and yes, I know there are people successfully using the FF and I am sure you will get it to work! I had problems with the RR dropping communication with the motors very regularly so I sold it. Replaced it with a Heden Carat and it works perfectly. More expensive than the RR but give it a try from a local rental house if your RR does not start working!

9. alain baars

alain baars Member

thnx Rod,

But what part of the Heden did you buy?
    I wanted to buy the Heden 21 motre, but the I would still need the RR remote, in order to be able to have a finger wheel possibility, cause I am a onemanband. that's why I didn't get the Heden thing. What would your suggestion be for me?
    have you seen the picture of my setup?

10. alain baars

alain baars Member

did you replace just the motor? so you're still using the RR receiver?

11. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I bought the entire system from Heden as they along with Preston are pretty much the industry standard...I know there are many FF systems out there now but at the end of the day, if you are using your follow focus all the time or you want to rent it, very few of the systems out there will stand up to the rigors of daily production. Just my humble opinion....
    I have the VE21 and VE26 motors to work with pretty much any lens out there...

12. alain baars

alain baars Member

I eanted

I wanted to buy them too, but needed the finger wheel possibility, that's why I had to go for RR. or does Heden have that option too?
    I am always working solo, that's why.

13. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I would not be surprised if there is a fingewheel available that will work with the Heden but I do not know of one.. I do know that I cannot operate in majestic mode, compose a shot, pull focus and keep my feet underneath me all at the same time. At least not without missing the shot, buzzing focus or stepping off a cliff..:)

14. alain baars

alain baars Member

haha, well, you're right, burt having to focus on the lens is not a solution either. I've done that for a couple of weeks but it didn't make me happy.
    same goes for start/stop and iris, I have a smaal company make a stratstop/iris for me.

15. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

You are right; nothing worse than working hard to get a great shot, playing it back and finding that it was out of focus! Ugh.

16. alain baars

alain baars Member

yeah.

do you think that buying a Heden motor will help to get rid of the problems the RR receiver has,
    I mean combining the two

17. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I did not have the RR follow focus long enough to test it with other motors...I bet it will work with Heden motors but maybe someone with more RR experience than me can chime in on this...

18. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Alain,

How are you powering the FF Basestation?

Please contact support@redrockmicro.com and they'll be able to help you further, and much faster than on the forums!

Thanks,
    AJ