/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 Case

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Ben Ruffell, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Has anyone found a suitable case?

Ideally, I want to be able to transport the M15 fully built with a Dragon in it. (lens off).

So, case needs to be about 20" or more deep.

Not so fussed about fitting accessories in, and the whole package needs to be under 23kg for the airlines.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Ben,

I hope you are doing well and I'm happy to help. There are two options that come to mind.

1) This M15 case should fit with a Dragon attached to the cage. The lens would be pointing straight up, and while we don't recommend leaving the cameras attached to the gimbal inside of cases, we know many operators out there are doing just that.

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/product/pelican-case-for-movi-m15-with-toad-in-the-hole-red-overlay/

[​IMG]

2) The M15 COMPACT case may accommodate an Epic, but it would be a tighter fit and will require the camera plate to be slid forward. If you really want to leave the lens attached to the Epic, then the cage would need to be flipped over backward (unlike the photo where the cage is flipped natural), so that lens is pointing toward the back of the gimbal. I'm not 100% sure it will work with an Epic, but I'm sure it would work with many other cameras.

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/product/movi-m15-case-compact/

Here's a photo:
    [​IMG]

Both of these options will be under 23 kilograms (50 pounds), even with a Dragon in the case.

I hope this helps. Hit me up at jason@CinemaOxide.com if you have further questions.

3. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Jason, what's the lead time on the standard case w/TITH?

4. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Eric,

At this moment they are in stock and ship same day.

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

For anyone interested, we bought a big Storm Case. im3075

Plucked the foam and made an excellent case.

I really like that we can leave the M15 built in the case, for short location moves. We can pull the rig out of the case, and be shooting as soon as it's booted. It's a terrific timesaver.

We will most likely get professionally cut foam in the future, but for now we are working on seeing how it all lives. So far, I really like it.

(I have the oxide case for the M10... this is different, and in many ways a lot more practical on set).

Eric De Fino likes this.
  6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Ben any pictures of why you have set up? I had the other case advertised here and wasn't impressed with the build quality so I am looking to see what else is out there.

7. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Just a friendly heads up,

It looks like MyCaseBuilder.com has updated their "Shapes" section with an M15 foam cutout. We just designed a new pelican for our M15 to help with airplane travel. I've attached a few pictures of our design below.

M15 Case Layout.jpg
    M15 Case Layout 3D1.jpg M15 Case Layout 3D2.jpg
    Seems like a good option if you already own a pelican you want to use, or if you're just looking to replace your M10 foam in an existing case.

8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

How do you order that? What case are they saying fits?

9. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

I ordered my foam for a Pelican 1610. It's a bit of a squeeze to fit everything in as you can see form the mockup.

Honestly, everybody I've talked to wants something a little different out of their cases. I'd hit up mycasebuilder.com and play around a bit with the shapes they have on file. If you go into their Shape Library and search for "Freefly" you'll get most of the MoVi stuff including battery slots and screwdriver holes.

Hope that helps.

10. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I've spent a great deal of time designing my own case, and it's nearly complete. Here is a small glimpse at what it will be. It can hold everything for dual-operator mode except the camera package itself. Very travel-friendly and carefully designed.

[​IMG]

11. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Is this case going to be available for sale Austin?

12. Austin Glass

yes it will be. Pricing and availability will be known by NAB time. We are making our final tweaks and changes to our machined parts. The prototype will be at NAB.

13. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

While not ideal for shipping or very pretty, my go to has been foaming out a rubbermaid tub with extra foam at the bottom to drop the fully built rig into at wrap. I did this on a feature last year and it saved so much time in the mornings not having to attach the handles and re-cable everything (this was pre toad in the hole.)

The tubs fit nicely on the bottom of the cart and were very light weight, enough to keep the rigs safe while on the truck.[​IMG]

Kurt Wallrath likes this.
  14. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

It's great to see options for cases. I see Freefly has one out for the M15. Competition is good and not having to play games with certain vendors on here. Austin let me know when yours is ready.

Austin Glass likes this.
  15. Austin Glass

Thanks Adam. Should be pretty soon.

For those that are interested, this case will be talked about briefly on the Teradek Live Show today at 9:25. I'm pretty sure the live stream can be accessed here:

http://www.teradek.com/pages/nab#.VS0cMhceU8A