/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M10 inverted.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Alasdair Smith, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Alasdair Smith

Alasdair Smith New Member

Can the Movi M10 be used in inverted mode. My cage fouls the pan motor when I try to invert. Am I missing something here? Camera ends up upside down.

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Post up some pics, and please post up some pics of your motor tab in the software to see how your balance is. It's true that you will foul on the pan motor in some circumstances (in my experience) but it doesn't have to be a problem, provided you never roll the handle around too far (usually it's pretty extreme before it fouls) and unless you're filming in a bobsled it shouldn't matter.

3. Alasdair Smith

Balance is fine. Motors are running at under 2%. Problem is that it will not invert, it's as though the main down tube is about 1cm. too short. Camera cage (standard) will not pass the pan motor base (and cage is completely offset to one side). See attached photo.

Attached Files:

4. Brett Harrison

Okay I see your problem there.

You're trying to rotate the roll axis 180 to do inverted (this won't work, look at how much play is left on the motor cables coming from the CPU if you do this even 90 degrees)

But what you need to do is either just turn the whole thing upside down 180 (handle and all like in the video demonstration)

Then rotate it in post a'la 'poor man's low mode' with Steadicam.

Or mount the movi to the top of the camera like Tabb Firchau so groovily demonstrates in this gif :)
    [​IMG]

5. Alasdair Smith

Yeah I'd seen that video demonstration and used that technique but hadn't noticed their camera finished upside down. So, invert in post. Duh!
    Thank you.

6. Brett Harrison

Or, mount the camera upside down when the gimbal is in its pendulum orientation (standard) then when you invert it's the right way up (which is what I was getting at with the gif)

7. Mark Rossi

Mark Rossi New Member

I think everyone has seen that video but it's useless unless you're using a low profile camera. I'm using a C100 with an M10, is there a way to go inverted without mounting the camera upside down? It's not practical to remount your camera every time you need to invert for some height if you need to do it a lot. Saying you can fix it in post isn't much help because framing or getting your shot right while looking at an upside down image is not the best idea.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Mark, you just turn the camera that it faces to roll bar and then invert the movi.You will need to readjust the roll balance also, but with some practice i managed to change between normal and upside mode in less than three minutes. (Handheld mode to Tero)

Best,

Wolf