/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Firmware 1.03

Discussion in 'Radian' started by John Cunningham, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Any ideas how i can get my radian into bootloader mode?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Shorting the signal pins on port 5 and 6 is the only way I know.
    Let me see if JohnC can assist. I'll email him.

Andy.

3. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Thanks, I simply dont understand why its not working. Since I know im shorting it correctly, could it be an issue with the firmware or electronics?

4. John Cunningham

Hey John,

To be honest, it was not a design intention to use the pan in fixed position mode like this. The reason is that the gyro angle will drift over time so the 'original' heading might not be quite what it was at the start.

The more useful feature would be for the 'fixed position' mode to drive the mount to point forwards. However this would need some extra sensor to enable the mount to know it's angle to the airframe above. It might happen, but its complicated and the target market for the Radian is really the professional 2-man crew where one person is using the camera and the other is flying eyes-on the aircraft.

JohnC

5. John Cunningham

Hey Ryan,

Shorting the signal pins for ports 5+6 before you turn on the power is the only way to force it into bootloader mode.

What are the LED's doing when it fails ? - is it the normal power-up flashing sequence or something else ?

On the other 2, there is a rare possibility that some corrupt config settings can mess up the PC comms from the Radian. We will fix this in the firmware so you can at least regain comms and set the module back to the default values. Can you PM Tabb for a link to a beta version to get you going for now ?.

JohnC.

6. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Leds do the normal start up, fast flashing then solid green.
    Could there be a faulty solder connection inside the radian to part of port 5 or 6?

I just spent another 3 hours trying to get it to work, trying all combos of com ports with no luck. Under device manager I can see the status of the ports, all seem to be working well. And as you mentioned earlier i can confirm com port 11 works because I can connect in bootloader mode.
    I was thinking of trying that as I know it works. Il email him now and see if I can get a link.

7. DooZee Aerial - Pete

I cant update mine.. I need Com port 13 for my USB device, but the boot loader only goes up to 12?!?!?!? any ideas??

8. John Cunningham

Pete,

Windows seems to allocate all the serial ports willy-nilly these days.

Trying forcing the COM port to be port 10 (even though windows says it is in use). It often works. If not try another number.

9. DooZee Aerial - Pete

But why limit the software to 12 ports? and set port 10 as the default, so i have to change it every time i open the sortware?
    Mine is always going to be port 13..
    Are you saying change the port alocation in windows?

port.jpg

10. John Cunningham

That's the way it was meant to work : if you go into the device manager, right-click the USB COM port and select properties. Then go to 'advanced' you can change the COM port allocation and set it to COM10. Once you do that, windows will set it to COM10 every time you plug the USB converter into that same USB port of the PC.

Then when you run the Radian software everything is set correctly and you get no error messages.

11. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Thanks for that.. Ill give it a go.., ;)

12. DooZee Aerial - Pete

One last question.. To actually update the unit.. Do i have to (As some others here have suggested) boot up the gyro in a bootloader mode? cant it just connect once booted normally?

13. John Cunningham

14. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Thanks for that.. All worked a treat!

15. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Hi Andy, I just updated to 1.03 and I am having some system startup issues. When I switch the power on (S-bus Futaba Rx + Radian)...Tilt usually doesn't initialize correctly (no startup kick). Lights yellow and green are on but Tilt is dead without any stab correction). if I switch power off and on again quickly, everything works perfect. I have 3s Lipo and a Turnigy 5v Bec powering Radian and Rx. Ay Idea?

Also, what would be a good starting point for the gains? I have a Cinestar 8 with DJI Wkm. Probably carrying a 7D or a FS-100.

Tks, Sylvio

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sylvio: Hmm. That sounds like you've may have one of those units that spontaneously enters bootstrap mode. Can you check this thread and see if the situation it describes might apply to your unit?

Regarding your question about gains, I'm afraid I don't have the kind of precise answer you might be looking for.
    Typical gains that I've seen people using are : Pan 65-80, Roll around 120-150, Tilt 150-220.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

17. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Tabb, a request.
    I'm running my cs6 + 360 and 3xradians
    When operating pilot/single, radio graupner mc32, 2 receivers,
    When we are 2 man operation the cameraman uses a JR7. I have a spectrum satellite and all works fine but. Until fw 1.03 I really liked the future when the mode control was moderate by the pilot, now with the 1.03 when the secondary radio comes on he directly takes full control of the gimbal. I would love to have an option in the radians where I can decide which radio is the primary, so I can as a pilot control when and what. Possible?

18. John Cunningham

Sedric,
    What input are you using for the pilot control (PWM(normal RC), PPM or SBUS) ?

19. Sedric "Zellevision" Sari

Hi John, PPM, the "s" channel from my GR16.

20. John Cunningham

Sedric,
    The intention during the design was to reflect some of the PPM inputs in the higher channel numbers so the Spektrum will appear in 1..8 and the PPM in 9..16 so you can choose which radio controls the mode.

Now the PPM can have 12 channels, only the first 4 will be reflected - but channels 9..12 will still show the top 4 PPM channels.

Is it possible to assign your mode switch to one of these channels ?.

If you watch the 'Input Channel Monitor' window with everything switched on, you will see what the Radian is 'choosing' from - ie which are being controlled by the Spektrum and which are still from the PPM.