/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Not Staying

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Michael Bonocore, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been experimenting with the GH4 and the Olympus 12mm f2.0 for the past few days...absolutely no issues in balancing it "as is."
    Panasonic has a neat application for the iPhone that allows you to use the iPhone as a remote viewer/controller via Wifi. So I use a Square Jellyfish mount for the iPhone and have it mounted on the M5 crossbar -- no wires to the camera!

The iPhone app is: Panasonic Image App. (A very subtle choice of names, I think.)
    The Square Jellyfish clampy thingy is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Square-Jellyfish-Spring-Tripod-Phones/dp/B00C7J5ZC0 (plastic mount)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZEZ7HPX1HGSNAQQJA0K (metal mount).

Go with the metal one if you can afford the extra $2.00. ;)

Oh...and it also answers the question facing the Fourth Age of Humankind: What do I do with my iPhone 5 if I upgrade to the iPhone 6?
    1. Use it as a Panasonic GH4 viewfinder/controller.
    2. Use it with your Phantom 2 Vision+.

Andy.

2. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Hi Michael,

This is my first post. I have the same issue with my M5. Tilt does not hold. Could you - or Bryan - please tell me which cord we are talking about? I was trying to figure out but all the cables on my M5 seem to be connected. Maybe a picture would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Thai

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thai:
    Can you connect up to the M5 with the Configurator App and answer these questions:

What stiffness settings do you have for Tilt?
    What mode is the gimbal control unit set to? Majestic?
    If you use the Chart option, select Motors, and move the M5, if you gently press the camera cage to move the camera in tilt, do you see a big spike appear in the Red (Tilt) motor line?

If you do not see an Tilt motor activity, email to support@freeflysystems.com -- they may choose to walk you through the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the tilt motor cables (with the M5 powered off, of course).

Andy.

4. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Thanks Andy!

Tilt stiffness: 25
    Majestic Smooth lock
    Motor does peak (red line) when pushed against cage in tilt axis
    Gimbal in handheld mode

FYI, I am using GH4 with Speedbooster and Duclos Leica-R cinemod lenses (19, 24, 35) and Tiffen ND filter. And M5 is attached to my X8 Heavy Lifter Copter. But that doesn't matter since I have the same issue if used with the Freefly hand bar on the ground.

Thai

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thai: So just to confirm, you do see a wiggle in the red line, but the Tilt axis is not powered -- it just rotates freely.
    Hmmm. That's definitely one for support@freeflysystems.com -- please post if, with their help, you figure out the problem.

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Well, the tilt axis is powered and it is working. However, the tilt does not hold its position. Instead, the tilt axis - or better say the gimbal - swift slowly towards -90% degree in the tilt axis. If I turn the tilt speed towards zero, the swift is more reduced. Very strange behavior. I am not sure you can follow me.
    I will contact Freefly Support.

Best,
    Thai

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Are you using a Spektrum Transmitter?
    If so, check the Trim settings -- you may have the Trim set to cause a downward drift.

Andy.

8. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Yes, it happens with the Spektrum D7s that came with the set. I am a Futaba guy so have to dig into the Spektrum manual.
    I let you know.

Thanks,
    Thai

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha. Ok. The Tilt Trim is the small black slider switch to the immediate right of the attachment loop for the neck strap.
    On the right hand side of the Spektrum's home display, you should see a tall thin vertical rectangle with a small "black" elevator symbol it it -- that elevator should be in the vertical center of the rectangle. The odds are it is not and you use the trim switch to move it until it is. If it is not in the center it is feeding in some "default" motion to the tilt axis.

Andy.

10. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

I moved the Tilt trim (black slider) to the vertical center and indeed it reduced the drift, but not completely. The drift is still there although very very little. But if you leave the gimbal untouched for a couple of minutes the gimbal will drift to -90 degree. If I move the Tilt trim off center in the other direction by just one step (one click), the gimbal will drift in the opposite direction (positive). There is no way I can hold the gimbal. Very odd.

My route is to go with Futaba. Since I have a spare 6208SB receiver lying around I hooked it up with my 14SG, did all the mapping. Now everything works flawlessly. No drift or whatsoever. In fact I can use the Futaba 14SG to control FC and M5 in Solo-Mode. And a second 14SG in Dual-Mode.

Thai

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Thai if the drift is happening while the unit is sitting in the stand that is normal. It is the normal drift of the sensors. When the gimbal is moving there is no drift.

If the drift is only when you are running the Spektrum remote then that would probably be the TX/RX setup. Sounds like your Futaba doesn't do the drift issue.

12. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Gary, I find it very odd that this happens only when using Spektrum. And I don't know what I could have done wrong with Tx Rx setting. I used the standard profile that came with the set. Did several resetting to default but it did not help.

Anyway, I found a perfect solution with Futaba and will stick to that. Will sell the Spektrum.

Thai

13. Francois Regis

Francois Regis New Member

Hi, we have the same problem. if we use the movi M10 alone without the DX8 controller, we don´t have any drift. When we put on the controller, and use it, the drift in pan start, we put of the controller and the drift still continue. The trim on the controller are in the good position. I dont have other controller to test...
    We need help.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Do you notice the drift when you're actively using the MōVI or does it only show when you put it back on the stand?
    I recall seeing other postings about this kind of very slow drift, but I think it was only stand-based drift.

Can you actually "null out" the drift with the trim on the controller, Francois?

You might want to open up a support ticket by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com, though.

Andy.

15. Francois Regis

Thank's for the answer.
    The first time we see this problem, the movi was attached to a rope at 15 m high, so the movi was working to stabilize the shooting.
    Monday we continue the testing camera, i try to null out the drift with the controller. But for me it is not a final solution , plus it 's very easy to accidentally touch the trim button, and if each time i need to put the trim on center, and count how many i need to trim at right or left....
    Another info, 3 days ago, the drift was on the tilt, and the Movi was on the stand after we use it.
    This is a big problem for us, we are starting in a week 20 days of shooting with Movi in different situations, Skiing, cable cam , jib , comédy etc .. for a cinema movie, shooting in 6K with red dragon.
    Monday we continue the test and we hope to find a solution.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Francois.....definitely sounds like you need to open up that support ticket as I mentioned above.

Andy.

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

If the Movi is not completely stationary during startup and initialization, you will have drift. During initialization its calibrating a zero position... If the unit is moving at all, that drift during startup will be the "zero" and will result in drift over time. For shots where you are using the MoVI as a remote head.. initialization becomes important.

18. Francois Regis

The problem seems to come from the controller, when i look the info in monitor from the menu of the dx8, the ELE stay at 1%, when the right joystick is in the center by default. The only solution i find, is triming...