/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED Rock FF Problems?

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by William Carnahan, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Chris,

I've been informed that you contacted our support team and they're helping you out.

In regards to cable stiffness, we did just release a line of new flexCables that are extremely flexible and lightweight. Here's a link to our motor cable if you're interested in checking them out:

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/flexCables-microRemote/flexCable-microRemote-Motor-18.html

Feel free to DM me on here if you have any questions.

-AJ

2. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Chris,

We invested in their new cables much more flexible and lighter. The new cables also have a power regulator that fixed all our issues. They are finicky if the power isn't regulated. I think the set of cables are $280 check with RR they are brand new.

Cheers,
    J

3. Bambare

Bambare New Member

just recived Redrock FF with fingerwheel and after 30 min working its stoped... all lights on but not working anymore. i did firmware update but the motor still frozen, can't do calibration the motor spins only 1-2mm backward and forward thats it ... then i checked the spliter where i connected the D-tap power and the Anton bauer Spliter was HOTTER as never, im using Lanparte anton bauer spliter and it has a D-tap but i really don't know how much voltage it gives http://www.amazon.com/Lanparte-Battery-Internal-Splitter-External/dp/B00ARADKCI yes i know i need 12-18v for redrock FF and im sure the D-tap out gives same Voltage. in this spliter i already have a BMCC CDI to HDMI converor, small HD monitor, BMCC power caple and Redrock FF D-Tap Power, suggest me how to solv my issue please ) and sorry for bad English :p

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Bambare,

It sounds like the gear on your motor might not be attached correctly to the motor. Pull it off then reattach it to the motor, make sure the pin is lined up correctly.

If the problem still persists and you're sure the gear is attached correctly, please contact our technical support team at:

support@redrockmicro.com

Support email will be able to get you a faster response than on the forum.

Thanks,
    AJ

6. alain baars

alain baars Member

wanting to use my red rock micro remote for the first time, but didn't work. lights keep blinking after calibrating.
    after firmware updating (advice from Redrock), base station is dead, firmware updating stopped for no reason!
    what do I do now? do I need to send it back? I have work to do!

7. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Alain, Are you using the power regulator from the power station to the motor? If not this might be your problem. You need to purchase the power regulator if powering from a Lipo. Just an idea best of luck.

J

8. Jeanphi TOUVENOT

Jeanphi TOUVENOT New Member

Hello guys,

First time for me on this forum.

I read about all your problem with the RRM microRemote but sth slightly different than what you experienced occurred to me last week when shooting in Niger for a commercial:
    When the AC started calibration, the motor started spinning endlessly and disengaged from lens gear. I tried to stop it with my hand to simulate a focus ring end. As the motor wouldn't stop and change direction, I unplugged the cable.

The 2 LEDs on the base station are now solid red and nothing works anymore. :mad:

I tried with the wireless hand grip and the tethered fingerwheel,
    I tried with my battery power supply (2x CANON LP-E6 = 14,4V) and with the supplied AC power,
    I tried with my spare motor cable,
    and the 2 LED are still solid red with none of the button responding.

- Has anybody experienced this?
    - Do you know if I should try to update the firmware to 2.0 before I sent it to RRM or if it's safer waiting for an answer?

Details:
    - I've been using this equipment for almost a year now with no pb (except the motor being quite jerky compared to the HEDEN on my CMOTION... but it's not the same price)
    - It was 40°C but we didn't use it under direct sunlight (or we would have died before the equipment!)
    - The right angle motor cable can rotate when plugged in and I learned in your posts that RRM had a bad load)

And, just for the story: the project was half based on the gimbal movments but we couldn't find a replacement for it so we've had the talents focusing themselves !!! :D

9. alain baars

alain baars Member

10. chris giuffre

chris giuffre New Member

Hi folks! Been a while since this thread has seen any action so I thought I'd liven it up a little with some fresh focus issues :)

Using the RRM wireless with 4.0 firmware. Have found a serious motor jitter/skipping problem. Doesn't matter the camera/lens combo being used, or if the base station is powered by battery or AC. Here's what happens:
    Power up and connect as per manual. Perform auto calibration (Though it occurs w/manual too). All is well so far.
    Turn the wireless controller through it's range and somewhere near center mark on the focus ring the motor will "skip" - it almost feels like it jumps out of the gear teeth, but upon further inspection you can feel the motor itself "twitching", not the gears jumping. The motor actually jerks back and forth in this one spot.
    Further turning of the controller shows more jitter and skipping at the end of the focus range.
    It seems like it occurs in one specific spot in the range, which seems odd to me.
    I have found that adjusting the torque lower helps; Higher torque (5+) = jitters and skips throughout the range. Lower torque (< 5) = "skipping" in one spot, and at one end of range.
    NOW, here's the rub: works perfectly with the fingerwheel controller. No jumps, no jitter. Flawless.
    So that leads me to believe there's a gremlin in the handheld unit, but what? Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Chris.