/dist/images/branding/favicon

Jerky reset issue while on multirotor

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Garrett Hurley, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Garrett Hurley

Having an issue with my M5 while on my heavy lifter. The gimbal will slam up uncontrollably. It appears that the m5 seems to be loosing connection with the transmitter because when the copter goes (not very far) about 50 yards the gimbal will jerk up. I have attached a video that has a couple quick shots that show what I am talking about. You can also see some strange smaller stutters just before it goes up.

This is the second m5 I have had and the other did not have this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

What transmitter and RX?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The probably is typical of when the copter is far enough away that the receiver loses contact with the controller and so the MōVI reverts from Remote to Majestic -- but you should be getting more than 50 yards range. I'd start by straightening out the two short antenna on the MōVI radio receiver.

Is there a way that you can get the shot without having the structure of the copter or the MōVI intervening between the controller and the MōVI receiver?

Are you transmitting video from the payload camera back to where you're standing? If that transmitter is too close to the MōVI receiver it could be "swamping" the MōVI's receiver's ability to receive the signal from the controller.

Andy.

4. Garrett Hurley

Gary,
    Everything is stock Freefly. So Spektrum transmitter.

Andy,
    I was actually being generous with the 50 yards. At times it wasn't getting more than 30.
    I will try to straighten the antennas. In reference to getting the shot without the Movi intervening. Not sure exactly what you mean by this. Are you saying the Movi is blocking the signal?

I am flying the A7s with the Atoms Shogun and transmitting with an HDMI converter that Quadrocopter put together. The HDMI converter and the transmitter are on the top of the booms that attach to the legs.

Thank you guys for your help.
    Garrett

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Garrett:
    Yeah....the receiver is on the rear right hand side of the MōVI so if you are shooting from the rear left of the MōVI the MōVI's structure tends to shield the antenna somewhat. My suggestions was just the first step in trying to diagnose the problem. The question about the other transmitters was also working the hypothesis that something is interfering in the MōVI receiver's ability receive the signal from the Spektrum transmitter.

Are you in North America, by the way? The reason I ask is that transmitters in Europe transmit with a lower radiated signal strength.

Andy.

6. Garrett Hurley

San Diego, so about as far from Europe as you can get. o_O

Any suggestions on what to do? You guys are the masters and I will try anything.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, SAN is aways away from Europe. So that eliminates that.

I'd try replicating the problem on the ground -- you'll need to suspend the Cinestar off the ground to simulate flight, but then, with a clear view of the right hand side of the MōVI (that is, a clear view of the receiver), then see what kind of range you can get.

Check the "Range Testing" on page 13 of the Spektrum DX8 manual. It's on page 18 of the DX7s manual if you have that.

If that demonstrates that there is a problem with the Transmitter or Receiver, then I'm afraid you'll need to open at ticket with support@freeflysystems.com .

Oh....afterthought -- are you in a place with lots of WiFi, cell phone towers, powerlines, or other possible sources of high intensity radio transmissions? Could that possibly be a factor?

Hope this helps.
    Andy

8. Garrett Hurley

Thank you andy. I will give it a try tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You could also try re-pairing the MōVI with the Spektrum transmitter. I had that fix a similar problem once.

10. Garrett Hurley

Steve,
    What were the issues you were having?