/dist/images/branding/favicon

Aerial Cinematography

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Britt Strong, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Britt Strong

Britt Strong New Member

What books or resources do y'all recommend for learning the art of aerial cinematography?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

This field is evolving very, very quickly, and I'm not aware of any traditional publications that would teach one how to do these things. This forum is one of the best resources available for folks wanting to jump in to the deep end of the pool (true cinematography). If you want to start more modestly (think small quadcopter with GoPro, etc.) then there are more forums out there with lots of interest.

Also, searching YouTube and Vimeo for aerial videos is a good way to see what's being done, and many folks are pretty forthcoming about their techniques.

We're all basically making this up as we go along, so welcome to the party! :cool:

3. Britt Strong

Britt Strong New Member

Thanks Steve! It's great to be a part of this rapidly evolving industry. I have a film and photography background so I understand the basics but I'm always looking for more advanced knowledge from those trailblazers before me.

This is by far the most knowledgeable and professional forum I've come across and I look forward to being an active member.

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Britt Strong

Britt Strong New Member

Digital Cinematography - Fundamentals, Tools, Techniques, and Workflows by David Stump, ASC

It just arrived but having read the table of contents and skimmed through it I would say it's a must read.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Ahh, I thought you were looking for aerial-specific texts. That sounds like a very good guide to modern digital filmmaking in general, which certainly is something that'd help you with aerial work, to a certain degree. But aerial work has some unique challenges, as I'm sure you have figured out (or will soon). :eek: