/dist/images/branding/favicon

Robinson 44 mounting

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Colin, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Colin

Colin Member

Hi guys, we are wondering if anyone has used the MR10 from a Robinson 44. We have a shoot coming soon and the company are wanting to us our gimbal but how is the system either mounted or if its handheld which mode.
    All advice very welcome. Camera will be the C300

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin welcome to the forums. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

Do a search on the site for Helicopter and you will find some suggested operating ideas.

3. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member

Yes. I have used the MoVI and other electronic gimbals in a variety of helicopters including the R44. I don't recommend using the MoVI in a helicopter at all. If it uncalibrates, which it always does, there is no way to recalibrate it in flight. There are other systems that allow recalibration in flight so I no longer use a MoVI in a manned helicopter. If you want more information on how to support a gimbal in an R44, R66, or AStar feel free to send me an e-mail. http://kaspi.ca

4. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi Colin

I filmed with our M10 rig once from a Robinson 44 and once from a Eurocopter Ecureuill. It does work but what Christopher tells is true, once your gimbal has to recalibrate you can not do that in the back of any flying helicopter. So that means that you have to put the helicopter on the ground to do it and landing is not possible everywhere.

It really depends on what your shot is, as long the helicopter flies stable straight forward or in crab you could manage it, but when you want to move the helicopter in a various positions at high speed you will not be able to keep the horizon straight and believe it or not its a hard thing to do.

But as I said it depends on what you're planning to do. I also work as a Cineflex operator so I'm used to directors that are dreaming of the impossible :) but if you want epic shots just call us and we'll do the job on Cineflex (www.wimrobberechts.com).

5. Christopher Futcher

The horizon issue is another issue. Anytime we have a fast acceleration/deceleration or bank turn the horizon gets really screwed up and sometimes takes a long time to correct itself. Just don't promise anything to a client until you get up and try it for yourself for a few hours. There are definitely quirks to work around. It wasn't until we spent 8-10 hours filming from a helicopter that we really dialled in a workable workflow that is consistent enough to offer to clients.

6. George Russell

George Russell New Member

Aloha guys, very informative post here! Good luck to you Colin. Christopher, your demo reel is killer and thanks for your thoughts here.
    I too am being asked to fly with my MoVI M15 carrying a Canon XF305 camcorder. I will be flying over the Kilauea Volcano on Hawaii. The helicopter, would be either the American Eurocopter EC130, OR the A-Star AS350B2 birds.
    I am being told that the doors will NOT be taken off for this charter flight and that the "cameraman would be allowed to slide open the doors when he needs to."
    Sounds like it would be easier said than done. I've been told that the copter has a "sliding door" type design much like a mini van(?). Thanks for any advice or work arounds!

7. Christopher Futcher

The A350 the sliding doors is nice. We filmed on Kauai with that helicopter. I preferred the sliding door to the one without sliding doors because the opening is much larger unless the front door is off too.

George Russell likes this.
  8. George Russell

Aloha Chris, happy to hear you shot on Kaua'i, beautiful! Was it with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters there? I found out that I will be riding with them for this shoot. Did you ultimately use your MoVI M10 with the A-Star?
    Perhaps this can work

9. George Russell

I just remembered a shot from a, door-less, helicopter in New York with the MoVI M10. Shot by the famous Vincent LaForet introducing the, at the time new, MoVI M10. Looked like he had it protruding well out of the cabin. I could just imagine the downward turbulance on the MoVI.

10. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

One of the benefits to the sliding door in the helicopter is that you can close the door, ironically. It sounds like it would get in the way, but in fact, it can be quite a benefit. For example, the top speed a helicopter is allowed to go with the doors open is something like 35mph. With the doors closed, it can go as fast as its designed for -- 149mph in an R44 or 293mph in a Eurocopter. This can make the difference between taking an hour to get to the destination, or take 10 minutes. In a helicopter, that extra 2 hours of flight time just cost you $2400. bamm!!

If its very cold you may be shivering and distracted by the time you get to the destination, which is another reason the sliding door has become my friend. :)