/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 + BlackMagic Production Cam 4K + 16-35mm Canon

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by paulo gambale, Oct 7, 2014.

1. paulo gambale

paulo gambale New Member

Hi.
    I'm into outdoor documentaries. Besides canon's DSLRs I also use a BMPC 4K.
    I'm ordering a M5.
    As I'm sure many of you already tested this, I wonder if someone could advise me how far I can push the M5.

I'd use it with a BLACKMAGIC Cinema 4K + Canon 16-35mm, and later would add focus control, paralinx transmitter, battery, all those cables... etc
    Does it really handle this setup? Could you balance it?
    Just can't spend that amount of money and after all find out it doesn't work as it should...
    I'm looking foward for an answer.
    regards
    paulo.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The first step is to add up the weights of all the components, and make sure they're within the stated limits of the M5. You might find that you're overweight, which is sometimes ok by a few grams, but makes balancing very critical, can cause the M5 to behave erratically or even fail (burn a motor or something).

Do you know all the weights?

3. paulo gambale

paulo gambale New Member

Hey Steve, thank you for answering...
    Well, the BM Cinema Cam 4k weights around 1.7kg (3,74lb) and 16-35 canon is 640g (1,4lb).
    I'm not considering SSD card, SDI monitor cables, but it seems to be very light.
    I've heard people are using BM 4K with M5 a lot, but I'm not sure if it really works (balance)
    I'm choosing the 16-35 because that's the lens I own and it's kind of wide on that cropped sensor...
    any advises would help!
    thks.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I think you're going to be overweight once you add the focus and transmitter. You could look at a lighter lens, but not sure you can get down to the weight limit (Maximum Payload: 5 lb / 2.27 kg*) if you want focus pulling and HD downlink.

Reference: * http://freeflysystems.com/products/movi/m5

5. paulo gambale

paulo gambale New Member

Yep, I guess so. But anyway, I wish I could find some Blackmagic 4K setups that people are using.
    As I don't use heavier cams (red,alexa, etc), getting the M10 is not an option (costs and bigger gear to travel)
    Besides canons, panasonic GH4, the BMCC 4K setup would be my heaviest...

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I use M5 for BMCC 4K and Red Epic and get great aerial footage with these combos. I think the limitation is not only about the weight and also about the dimensions.

You can't move the roll bar like the M10, that's big bummer when you need to balance a big rig. So, you would have no room to move the camera for balancing when you throw in some accessories.

And also the plastic housing material for motors can handle certain weight. On M10, all clamping materials are aluminum which makes a huge difference.

You will probably balance your rig with BMCC 4K and 16-35 lens. I need counter weight when balancing BMCC4K so I use an FreeFly M10 or similar size battery and use it as an balancing tool and also power the camera from it.It can be usable for MR stuff to some point but for handheld use, M5 is just not enough for big cameras.

I think M10 is much easier to work under these circumstances. If you would change the roll bar of M5, put longer side arms, and change the clamps used for motors, it would the same job :)

7. paulo gambale

paulo gambale New Member

Hey Ozkan, thank you.
    I'm sure M10 would be nice, but besides it's size, it's also a way more expensive.
    We mainly use Canon's, panasonics and just got a BMCC 4k, which is great! (no bigger cameras , red, alexa)
    Anyway, as you said, the BMCC 4K and a 16-35 will work, right? even knowing it's overweighted a little bit...
    I also know that balancing would be tricky, considering size and shape design...
    But if you use it and works...
    Later, when I get the M5 in my hands I'd aprecciate if you could advise me with some tips / counter weight, etc...ok?
    thks!
    paulo.

8. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I use BMPC with M5 for aerial work without balancing issues. Just had to make a custom BNC connector to balance the camera properly but it's well balanced now, it's tight fit though. You might want to replace rear pan bar and T-connector for better rigidness.

9. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

After flying the M5/BM4k for a while I can't recommend it with anything but the 40 and 24 pancake. Get an M10 and do it right. The extra cost is well worth the happy clients. The big issue, as Steve said, is weight. Running a Bolt pro + BM4k + lens is RIGHT at the limit. That got the motors hot fast. The ONLy way we found it to work and not get the motors super hot and risk damaging the unit was with the Pancake lenses (also make it SUPER easy to balance.

10. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

You might want to check out the Sony A7S I haven't done specs on it yet but the weight is less than the BM and you still can get 4K out of her. We are going to be doing some tests later in the month on the Sony A7S we will report back.

Best of luck,
    J

kjetil tønnesen likes this.
  11. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

4k on the A7s is a bit lackluster. It has issues with Slog2 recording=/ I love the camera for aerial work though. light, 60p and 120 if needed and great at night.

12. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thanks for the feedback Ryan.

13. Ross Hamil

Ross Hamil New Member

Can you post a picture of your custom BNC connector? This has been a huge pain to get balanced and be able to monitor with anything else.

14. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I just cut the BNC connector with saw and soldered the wires to 90 degree angle.

IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3389.JPG

15. Ross Hamil

Ross Hamil New Member

16. Urs Ruegg

Urs Ruegg New Member

Hello Kari
    May I ask how you handled the video downlink? I see the ATOMOS Connect Converter S2H, but what device did you use after that for the downlink? Lightbridge? IDX?
    Thanks.

17. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

We use the Teradek Bolt Pro. You can find it and others available through the web. Teradek has it's own site. Not cheap but works very well. Best of luck.

18. Urs Ruegg

Urs Ruegg New Member

Thank you Jonathan.
    It sure is a bit expensive, but we will look further into that as an option.