/dist/images/branding/favicon

Folding Hinges for Cinestar, thoughts? Flexacopter?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alex Fuller, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=10936

Wanting to convert my flat CS8 to a folding X8 and I found those above. They look pretty solid and affordable. Plus it looks like it will add some length to the booms as I'd use extra carbon tubing for the hub attachment area. I've looked at Flexacopter but they are expensive and I dont know about using plastic at such a critical point. I've seen the Darth versions as well but they also seem a little pricey.

Anyone have experience with any other folding/detachable boom systems?

2. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett New Member

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Interesting.

4. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Good find, Secraft makes quality stuff. I think I'll go with these over the Infinity Hobby ones. Thanks!

5. micah stansell

micah stansell New Member

Let us know how they work out. Keenly interested!

6. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Got the Secraftt hinges in yesterday and I'm pretty happy with them. Well made and easy to install. I kept existing 450mm boom length and added about 150mm per boom, waiting on motor mounts and this will soon be an x8. I may need to shortern the booms as there is a bit more leverage than expected, but it may be due to the lack of 4 other booms I'm the center hub. Will update some more as the project continues, here's a pic for now.

Attached Files:

7. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Well, the folding Cinestar X8 project is almost a success! Had a test flight with it today and while it was awesome, it was very inefficient I think due to the CNC motor mounts absorbing a TON of heat. Also the QC3328 might not be ideal for this rig, especially at 6S with 14inch props. Going to try some carbon mounts next to see if that cools things down a bit. Otherwise it may be time for a motor upgrade. Here are some pictures and the first test flight video:

IMG_3958.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

I like the small size, how hot where the connectors getting?

where does the heat come from?

9. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Heats originating at the motors and the CNC mounts are absorbing a lot, and in turn transferring heat onto the carbon boom itself. I think the close quarters of these fairly old motors combined with CNC mounts and 6S batteries on 14inch props is the main cause. Going to try to more exposed motor mounts and possibly upgrading to U5's. But at least structurally the set up is running great, very impressed with folding clamps as well as the X8 configuration, I can walk through doors with it now, yahoo!

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If I'm not mistaken, I think somebody managed to smoke a QC3328 running it on 6S. The specs say it'll handle 6S, but I wouldn't run those motors at anything over 4S. It's an older design, and if yours have some significant hours on them you could be risking problems. That could be your heat issue. I have KDE 4012-400 motors on 6S with 16" props (on an X8 config) and my motors and mounts have never even been warm to the touch. So I'd ground your machine until you can do a little more homework. :eek:

11. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Yeah this thing is not flying until it get's new motors. I tried flying with 4S batteries yesterday and the motors were still hot. Going to be getting some U5's in the coming weeks to see if that solves the issue. What motor mounts are you using Steve?

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Here is a picture of them from early on in my build thread. I got them from Famous Hobby. Had to mod 'em a bit for the KDEs because of the way their motor wires come out. But they've worked great.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...for-medium-heavy-lift-8-10kg.3079/#post-35919

13. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

this is my new frame. not the best photo but as you can see, the arms fold up rather than down meaning that i don't have to detach the tripod style gimbal when I fold it. I carry it in an old plastic tripod tube

Attached Files:

14. ausweger daniel

ausweger daniel New Member

this really looks interesting. just bought a cinestar8 with 550 booms and after assembling it i recognized that it wouldnt fit into my car ;-). are the hinges affecting the stiffness of the frame? any vibrations or are the hinges tight enough without gap inbetween? thx

15. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

you could always turn your cine 8 into a x8. All the cool kids are doing it!;)

16. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I have ordered the Infinity hobby ones and put them on the copter. I took them off immediately. Waste of time and money. There is a play and I recommend not to use them.

I think for travelling Catalyst Machine Works' solution is more elegant and looks safe They are not on the market yet though.

17. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Ozkan: Thanks for the input. I was eyeing those too! I have, and like my s900, and the hinges work well. The s900 center "ring"though is much larger, and the arms shorter, than the CS.

18. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I dont have play in my Secraft hinges, maybe they are machined better. Are you able to tighten the quick release clamps at all? I tightened mine up and they are solid.

19. Marcelo Saenz

Marcelo Saenz New Member

Hi Laurence, what hinges are you using? Any play or vibration on frame? Thx

20. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

Its a whole new frame rather than just a hinge add on. It's a 25mm tube skyknight frame. The 'hinges' are actually just bolts so you have to remove one bolt to make the arm fold. this means that it's not neccisarily the quickest folding system but it is certainly the most compact as the arms are only about 15cm from each other when folded down. It uses aluminium clamps. the whole thing is very stiff. It has slightly thicker walled CF tubes than the cinestar which is good asIhave split cinestar CF tubes before just through normal use/ travelling.