/dist/images/branding/favicon

Stab result at 24mm ?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Semiond mathieu, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Semiond mathieu

Semiond mathieu New Member

Hi Guys,

i'm actually making some test of my m5.

I have really good result when lens is 16-20mm (24-36 equivalent), but after 20mm i see some perturbation in the stabilisation.

I use for now a gh4 with speedbooster and 11-16 tokkina, so no lens stab.

I have see some video with great stab at 35mm, so i want to know if it's advice to have an is lense or if the video are post stabilized also ?

Here a video of my test (no stab), of course, i'm not talking about the walk effect because i'm walking with tong... and it's rapid made, it's just an exemple.

http://www.teamlescollets.com/movi/

Can you tell what you think about the result and advice me to get betetr result

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Semiond:
    I can see the effect of you walking, but in which axis are you seeing perturbation? Tilt?

Have you rebalanced and re-tuned each time you change the lens or the focal length (which usually moves glass around inside the lens)?

Each time you do that you alter the physics of the MōVI and its payload and, while it can handle a certain amount of imbalance, if you are at the stiffness limits before you change lenses you might see this kind of problem.

Do you autotune? If so, what Autotune Percentage are you using?
    It often pays to use autotune and then make fine adjustments manually.
    Be sure to hold the M5 as you plan to use it -- if you autotune with it in the cradle, you may find that it will oscillate if you pick it up with the top handle or both handles.

Andy.

3. Semiond mathieu

Hi Andy,

Thanks for help.

yes i balance again the movi when change the lens focal.

I actually do an autotune a 70%, in the cradle.

You say that i have to do the autotune when picking the gimbal with handle ?

I try some fine adjustement but don't really sure of the way to do them, can you plesae explain the method to make fine adjustement ? Are you using the graph on the application or just make some changement an test them ?

An is lenses will improve something you think ?

Thanks

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Semiond for the best results with autotune you should do the tuning while holding the gimbal the way you are going to use it. So if it is going to be a two handed hold then do it that way, a single hold do it that way, hanging from a rope, and so on. Same is true with a manual tuning.

5. Semiond mathieu

Ok gary thanks !!!

But nobody explain manual settings process, do you help with appli, just test until motors vibrate ?

Thanks

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Semiond:
    Firstly, Gary, as always, is correct.

You cannot really see, but during Autotune, the gimbal control unit is gently vibrating the three axes one after the other and noting the response as it does so) -- so it is really important that you are holding the MōVI as you plan to use it when you do an Autotune -- and a then do manual fine-tune as well.

The manual tuning -- which consists of repeatedly doing "fine" adjustments to the tilt, roll, and pan Stiffness settings once the Autotune has adjustment them to approximately the right place, is described on page 04-21, 22 of the M5 manual.

Certainly Autotune gets the settings to the point where the MōVI is usable, but you can usually manually adjust them to improve the results (e.g. slightly more responsive). I think of "Autotune" as "Initial Approximate (and Pretty Good) Tune."

Andy.

7. Semiond mathieu

Ok thanks, will try this thanks men !!!