/dist/images/branding/favicon

Looking for a monitor for my Movi..what would you choose?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Adam Brennan, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I am curious to get opinions on what monitor would you get? Odyssey? Atomos or smallHD? I am thinking the first two due to external recording. I am new to this, so thoughts and reasoning would be nice to hear. I budget about $2K for one.

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hi Adam,

Are you looking for a cost effective and light monitor? Then the answer is the SmallHD.

If you have a camera like a GH4 or Sony FS700 that would benefit from a Atomos or Odyssey then those are great options also but are pricey.

Personally, I use a TV Logic 5.6. It has HD-SDI, HDMI inputs as well as HDMI loop through to HD-SDI.

You may consider the SmallHD and use the money you save towards a Paralinx if you don't have one.

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thanks Kurt, those are some good points. I think for the time being I am going to get a BlackMagic Cinema Camera until I see what comes out in the spring. I just bought Redrock Micro Wireless focus system. I do need to get a paralinks sooner or later. I think one of the things I am looking for is accurate color/exposure and being able to see the focus plane.

4. Michael Luntzel

Michael Luntzel New Member

5.6 TV logic or 5.5 TV logic

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I use SmallHD DP4's.

Andy.

6. Michael Luntzel

Michael Luntzel New Member

or you could go with the SmallHD AC7 a little bigger but a good monitor

7. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I actually stopped attaching the monitor directly to my Movi and instead have a cheap shoulder harness I use. I then have the Small HD DP4 on it with the eye cup. I have a thin HDMI cable zip tied to the top handle of my Movi with a joiner and then another cable going to the monitor. This has the huge advantage when in single operator mode of always being able to see what is on screen regardless of where I hold the device. The problem I found with the monitor on the handle bars is that the moment you lift your hands up, or lower it to the floor you can no longer easily see the screen. If you are using it to pull focus as well having it always in front of one of your eyes does the trick.

8. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hey Nic,
    could you attach a pic of that in use? That sounds interesting

9. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

That does sound really cool Nic!

Not to hijack this thread, but we've been looking at larger monitors for the remote camera operator to use. Of course, there is the Flanders line with their terrific cases with built-in hoods and option to attach a mount on the rear for c-stands. Would double as a reference monitor back in the studio when doing post. But pricey.

ikan MS21 series looks interesting - but I have zero experience with ikan. Have others used their products? We like the idea of having a large 21" to 24" on location.