/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 + Canon 5D III + Olympus lenses = hard vibration

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ricardo Mor, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

Hi,

I have 2 questions :(

1. I tested M5 with Canon 5D Mark III with Olympus Zuiko OM 35mm T 2,0. ItmakesnodifferencelikeI balanceit, the motorvibrates "extremely".. If I change the lens to Canon Ef 24-105mm the motor make no problem. Mysuppositionisobviousthattheweight ofthe lensistoolightto stabilize it. The EF is substantially heavier. Or it could be other problem? So the main Question is that the Movi can handle better heavier lenses than light lenses?

2. Do you have also the feeling that the thick cable of the basestation(Redrock Micro Remote) to the Torque Motor pulls the Movi to a direction? - Osito

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Have you followed the balancing and tuning instructions? Changing lenses like those can require you to re-balance the MōVI and re-tune it. You do know how to do that, right?

Dustin Poteet likes this.
  4. Dustin Poteet

Dustin Poteet New Member

Re-balance the Camera & Lens properly (if possible) see balancing tutorial. Don't let the vibrations persist if you can help it. Its called oscillating and doesn't seem like its good for the device. Oscillating is sometimes caused by overworking the gyros, so it could either off balance or over weighted. Otherwise if its underweight and the tuning is to high it could oscillate as well.

Good luck!

5. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

Okay i changed my name, sry :) Yes i know how to balance, its a question how often do you do that..
    the balancing tutorial is very basic, so if you have more to put on the movi its a little bit harder..
    its a bit hard for me to balance a (Heavy Camera package).. Canon 5D + Carl Zeiss super speed lenses + red rock micro remote follow focus + cables.. , cables pull the camera in an other direction..

i think i have to try it often enough to get a good result..

6. Steve Maller

If the MōVI M5 is loaded to its max (5 pounds) and there are stiff cables, you will not be able to use it. The best way to make it work if you have stiff cables leading to a receiver or transmitter is to mount all the hardware to the camera, not to the frame, so that the MōVI can do its work. If you have anything other than a Sanho ultra-light HDMI cable or something like that, it will not work.

And balancing is absolutely required any time you change anything, or even if you just remove the camera from the MōVI. It's so fast I never trust it to stay balanced. 30 seconds is usually all that's required once you get the technique down.

7. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

after some Hours i have built my movie: see pictures please...
    so, the cable between Basestation and Torque from the follow focus is very stiff. This cable i adjust with a cable binder. I understand that you say that all stiff cables have to be amount to the camera or to the cage. I have an hyper thin cable between camera and Small hd.

i have to look if i can buy an other thinner cable between base station and torque.
    Do you think i should mount the base station to the cage? i have it now on the frame.

Please, if you have any ideas to correct my construction, say it!

feel free to criticize :)

Attached Files:

8. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

okay nobody can say if this way is ok? :(

9. Steve Maller

We already told you that if you have a stiff cable it won't work. I think people are using wireless FIZ units, or maybe there's super light cables. I don't know.

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You should put the reciever unit of the follow focus system on to the camera. With that cable, there's no way that it's going to work properly.

11. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Hey Ricardo,

If you're looking for flexible cables we actually just released a new line of flexCables for our microRemote system. They're 33% more flexible and 200% lighter than our standard cables.

Here's an example motor cable (for connecting a basestation to a motor):
    http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/flexCables-microRemote/flexCable-microRemote-Motor-18.html

Also, to help minimize cable interference between the camera and the handlebar, I usually recommend mounting the basestation somewhere on the camera sled. If you mount it opposite the motor it will help with weight distribution which in turn will help with balancing.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-AJ