/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi sways when balancing

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Hugo van Dijke, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Hugo van Dijke

Hugo van Dijke New Member

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem when balancing my M5. I have balanced every axis perfectly, and the camera definitely stays when I move it. But the whole unit - everything under the handle: the motors, cage, camera, etc - sways slightly to the left, as if the surface the Movi stand is standing on isn't level (but it is). Have any of you ever had this problem? Thanks for the help!

I've attached a picture to illustrate my problem: the Movi should be aligned with the handle, but isn't. It keeps turning slightly to the left.

Regards,

Hugo

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Hugo if you have the Toad in the Hole it simply means that the handle bar has not been put into the Hole in the proper orientation. There is a 'Front' to the Hole. The 'Front' is aligned fore and aft on the axis of the pan tube. I mark the front with a silver metallic marker. Once you know where front is located, loosen the clamp and rotate it the TinH to square up the handles.

3. Hugo van Dijke

Thanks for your response Gary, but I don't have a Toad in the Hole, just the 'regular' handle that came with the M5!

4. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I'm assuming this is when you have the system switched on?

In majestic mode, you could probably grab the stand and rotate it on the ground to bring the gimbal inline with the handles/stand. If you are able to do this rotation without commanding the system to pan then you are in the window, and that slight 'sway' is probably resting against the limit of the window.

Jump into the software and reduce the pan window to 1 or 0 and it should pull the gimbal inline with the handle.

5. Hugo van Dijke

Thanks for helping Brett, but no: the Movi turns slightly to the left before it's turned on. It looks and feels perfectly balanced, except for that the unit doesn't point straight forward.

6. Brett Harrison

This simply means then, that there is slightly more weight on the opposing side of the pan motor - and/or the stand/table/house is slightly unlevel (only partially joking) but if you have balanced around the pan motor, it shouldn't matter.

When it's powered up, see how hard the motors are working, and if any are working harder than the others then you may need to balance again. I would be suprised if this discrepancy has any effect on the balance and indeed, it's not part of Tabb's balancing proceedure to see where the gimbal rests in relation to the handle.

7. Brett Harrison

For completeness I'll add that there is technically no 'front' since you are balancing to a centre: the motor; if it's well balanced then it's balanced well enough for all degrees of rotation around the pan motor.

8. Shaf Noor

Shaf Noor New Member

Bump

Im having the same issue with the gimbal swaying to the left when on the stand. I have the unit balanced. Anyone updates Hugo??

9. Brett Harrison

Hi Shaf, if you post up a video might help us see what's wrong, but generally this isn't an issue. Does it affect the operation of the unit?