/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan drift

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Steve Townsend, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Steve Townsend

Steve Townsend New Member

Hi

I'm new to the M5 but I have noticed a very slight but significant drifting of the pan. I wondered if there is anything I can do to adjust this. I'm pretty sure the whole set up is well balanced. Tried with a lighter load (GH4) and heavier (5D with heavy Zeiss lens). Thanks Steve

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you using with or without the remote?

3. Steve Townsend

Hi Gary, without a remote.

4. Dustin Poteet

Dustin Poteet New Member

Hey Steve,

Regarding your pan drifting problem in Majestic Mode, I have found that turning down your smoothing settings for pan in the Freefly GUI will solve the problem immediately. Thats assuming your talking about drifting at the end of a move. If your talking about drifting while trying to hold it steady, your pan window may be to small.

Hope that helps!

5. Steve Townsend

Hi Dustin, thanks for your input but if I can explain maybe what I am asking is unreasonable. I am experimenting and trying to do a short time-lapse with the Movi, probably only five minutes long. I am trying to create a hyper lapse and require the Movi to remain pointing in the same direction whilst I move laterally for a total of five minutes. It is pretty good in all axes but I experience about a 10 degree pan shift in about four and five minutes. I have experimented with the smoothing and the window but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

6. Dustin Poteet

Dustin Poteet New Member

That sounds like a cool experiment and really puts the tuning of the system to the test. Id say experimenting with making the windows wider and wider could decrease the chance of drifting if you do move at all within the 5 mins. The only other thing that may cause it would be if your not walking in a perfectly straight line and drift a little, walking for 5 minutes is a long time use a spotter or a system of staying straight if possible. Other than that the MōVI should be capable of that theoretically, considering the device is being stabilized form GPS. Pretty much the same a drone would, and I have seen something similar done with a drone flawlessly.

So I would say just keep experimenting and you'll get it, good luck!

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve in another post with a similar question I answered that from what I understand the sensors that are used do drift. I don't know the details but if you set the MoVI in the stand pan will drift over time. This doesn't occur if the the MoVI is moving. And I seem to remember that even higher end sensors like these used in much more expensive applications (airplanes, missiles and the like) will also drift. Probably the degree of drift is a factor of the price paid but all of them need other cross checks to stay accurate.

Bad example but in the long ago days of inertial nav systems on board airline and corporate planes they did cross checks either with celestial shots or loran to reset/recalibrate/check and update the system.

Dustin Poteet likes this.