/dist/images/branding/favicon

Redrock Micro Wireless Bundle

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Cody Cochran, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran New Member

Hey guys, trying to mount my follow focus to the M15. I know it is not a "Free Fly' product, but can't seem to find any information on how to sync my finger wheel as well as my RR follow focus controller. (I also have the MoVi controller but have not got that far yet).

After calibrating my lens, both the CAL lights and the MOTOR lights ares blinking. I plugged both the Wireless control and the finger wheel which both are not working.

Is there a firmware update or some small step that I have missed? Read through the manual and looked online and came up empty.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Be curious myself. I just ordered the Redrock Micro Wireless focus myself.

3. Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran New Member

You would think that Redrock Micro (being that they are a "video equip company") would have kick ass tutorials.

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

how are you powering the Basestation? The symptoms you are describing are ones I have seen before when the system is underpowered, or the lenses are too stiff/cold for the motor to handle it.

If it is an issue of being underpowered, there was a recent firmware update that I think fixes that issue.

5. Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran New Member

I have it plugged into the wall for now. And it is a Canon EF 24-105. Can you post a link to the firmware update? Do I just plug in the controller and base station via USB?

6. Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran New Member

7. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

8. Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran New Member

I bought this about a week ago. I contacted Redrock, sent them a video and it seems that my product was not working right. After re installing the software, I had to return my wireless bundle to get a new unit! hoping this solves the problem.

Thanks,

9. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

I'm sorry to hear that! It's a rare occurrence that our products ship out like that but I'm glad it's getting solved for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding power or anything else regarding the remote.

10. bevan goldswain

I have had my Redrock for less than a year, it has failed on 3 shoots so far. Always failing in a new way.
    Each time it has failed i've tried to rent one ( as they are the cheapest rental option here In the UK) and every time availability has been scarce as rental companies tell me their units are in for repair.

I've given up on this system and have placed an order for an RT motion, I just can't justify losing any more money than I have due to gear breaking down during big shoots. I've sent my redrock remote back and have asked for a refund.

11. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Has anyone else had an issue with Redrock Micro wireless as described above?

12. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Also the the Movi Rod mount adapter diameter seems too small for the Redrock motor gear mount that turns the lens. Anyone have an issue with this?

13. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Also Redrock, does the latest Redrock Micro microRemote Wireless come with the latest firmware update if purchased in the last 2 weeks?

14. Phil Macdonald

We have had issues with our Redrock Units as well, various offered solutions. We are going to be updating firmware soon as we are back in after holidays but in essence we have had two shoots now where the motor all of a sudden just starts spinning out of control which is both bad for the lens because it hits that hard stop and jams, and secondly it becomes very unreliable. The first shoot this happened was the first shoot we had used the MoVI on for a client and it was embarassing, the second shoot was for a live event, happened in rehearsals and I was the roaming camera for a big film awards and as such we ended up losing the fingerwheel because I couldnt risk following benedict cumberbatch upto stage and then bam, spin out of focus on a live screening....so had to ramp up aperture!!

15. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Well this is not good news as I just dropped $3200 on it and just got mine. I notice that the motor on mine is different looking that others I see online. I wonder why the different design on the motor? Also anyone here have issues with the Freefly base plate mount where you can mount the Redrock motor on the rail? My motor doesn't fit the freefly rail. It's too loose.

16. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

What are the alternatives other than Redrock Micro in the same price range that are reliable?

17. Phil Macdonald

So the rods for the freefly mount adaptor are 15mm, the redrock motor is for 19mm rails but then included is an adaptor which just pops in the hole and makes it suitable for 15mm rails,

Could this be the issue?

Phil

18. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I have the small adaptor that goes on the inside..but the Freefly rods are still too small in diameter when completely tighten down.

19. Phil Macdonald

Oh that's interesting, as a heads up we mounted the motor onto the side rail of the cage on our M15 and it worked a treat, placement that is, that's same shoot we had issue with motor spinning....

20. AJ Lodge

AJ Lodge New Member

Howdy Phil,

I'm sorry to hear you had a couple hiccups with the microRemote. You should definitely update it to the latest firmware. Please let me know how that goes for you.

Hey Adam,

Yes, if you just purchased your microRemote in the last two weeks it should have the latest firmware.

In regards to the MoVI adaptor and rails, I highly reccommend the adaptor but I also might recommend trying different rails, I suspect they are a little small. We know that style of carbon fiber can vary quite a bit in diameter (we went through this on our own carbon fiber rails). They are great for a gimbal rig where tolerances don't have to be as tight, but on a high torque application like remote focus, any small variations are noticeable. On our MoVIs, the freefly rails work fine, but could be hit and miss. We've also been to Freefly HQ and had no problems with our setup and their rails there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy your holiday,
    AJ