/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M10 cage design

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Andrew Griffiths, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Has anyone tried this full cage with Red Epic or Scarlet? And if yes, does the cage work better with a heavy camera like Red?

I would suppose heaviness would mean less binding issues with the pan motor but I dare not order before somebody confirms this.

Especially considering the price of this upgrade.

2. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I asked the same Red and full cage question from Freely support. No answer as of yet. Not very convincing so far.

3. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

I ordered and installed the M10 cage upgrade about a month ago. I use my Movi mainly with an Epic. I don't regret doing the upgrade, it was worth it, I am now able to set my tuning settings way way higher than before, and it seems to have eliminated some small vibrations that were sometimes there with the original design. Overall stiffness has improved. The Epic does fit without a problem. I think the height balance is easier to adjust too with this system.
    Main issue with this cage, which I hadn't anticipated : My Movi now doesn't fit into my Cinema Oxyde case anymore...

I also did the upgrade to the tool-less pan knuckle, which is an absolute must.

So are these upgrades worth it ? Yes.
    Should they have been offered to early buyers for free or at a very reduced cost ? Definitely, in my opinion. Especially the tool-less pan knuckle, because the early design clearly had some major flaws (very hard to adjust, fragile,...)
    But that's another discussion.

4. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

This is exactly why I haven't upgraded my M10 to the full cage! Still looking for solutions. On a different thread, I asked Jason (from jason cases / cinema oxide) if he would sell new foam inserts for customers that had already bought his m10 case but I didn't get a reply.

I really like the idea of something compact like the Freely M5 travel case. It would be great if Freely offered a similar design for the upgraded M10s.

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Once M10 is upgraded with Full Cage one should increase the autotune into 70 per cent as is recommended with full case Movis. Opinions/experiences?

6. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Forego the cage and stuff stiff foam between the sides of the camera and the vertical rods on the existing cage. Perfecto!

7. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Already ordered one. Easier with the cage if it means no need to tamper with foam.

8. Derek Cooper

Agreed... but when I look at our kit, I struggle to see how the top bar would work. We mount our Paralinx TX on the top of the Sony FS7 - looks like it's right at home there.

IMG_0112.JPG

9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

We have a Red Epic and it is a breeze to mount the top latch into the Red with the provided threads on the Red.
    Our Teradek TX is mounted into the Movi.

10. Derek Cooper

Picture Tuukka?