/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK Losing Compass calibration

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Ryan McCrae, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Ive been on a few jobs where my machine has lost compass calibration while sitting in one spot waiting for the action to start.
    When it happens the motors won't start and I get a beep, which I believe is the compass is not calibrated noise.
    I do a calibration and everything is all good again. This seems to happen all the time, its not location related.
    Ive had it happen with in 20 minutes before, while normally it might be 40 minutes.
    Im running MK 2.5 with external compass. Its got good readings for the compass.

Cheers

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Ryan if you are near metal plates or metallic objects you wont be able to take-off unless you have the "ignore compass error on take off" clicked. It will just sit there and beep at you even if the compass is calibrated or you cant get the motors to go past 25%. I don`t know if this applies to you?

Can you give us a video of the beep sound or gpx file when it happens?

3. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Just had a brain wave. I work for a fishing show, so were always beach launching and flying out to the boat. The landing pad is large and weighted with a checker plate slab (aluminium I think) in the centre to keep it from blowing up. This could well be the issue. But I have had the issue when just out test flying in the park before.

Would it be bad to tick the "ignore compass error on take off" box?
    It just does a single beep each time i try and start the motors.

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

ok the single beep means your in mode 1 or sport mode. most people fly in mode 3 which you will hear 3 beeps after starting the motors.

No its not bad to tick the "ignore compass error on take off" box I have mine ticked all the time! ;)

can you tell us what beep its making? Other than the single beep? Go to this link and see right down the bottom of the page to see the "BEEP TONES"

http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/ErrorCodes

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Ryan, do you a have back-up NaviCtrl 2.0 or 2.1 to try out? There might be a problem with Navi Ctrl also.

I also always check "Ignore compass error".

6. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi everyone

The last 3 days we did some rehearsals on shots and today we have our principal shoot. Off course everything went well during the prep days and now we have some issues.

We are losing tilt control in flight and when I connect the Freefly Configurator I have the Compass Lost Error in red. I reloaded our settings that we made during the prep days and then the issues are solved. After a couple a minutes in flight we have the problem again!

What is happening and how can I solve this issue?

Greetz
    Kevin

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kevin: That almost sounds like a loose cable somewhere -- but it's odd that you can clear the problem if you reload settings. If you have not already done so, I'd email to support@freeflysystems.com and open up a ticket.

Andy.