/dist/images/branding/favicon

BlackMagic 4K + M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andre Nazareth, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Andre Nazareth

Andre Nazareth New Member

Hi guys,
    I am coming here to ask about blackmagic 4K with M5.
    I saw some other posts about this subject but I'd love If you could give me more tips about how can they work together.
    I usually use M5 with 5DIII and 16-35mm with a Ninja Blade to record in Prores HQ 422.
    However, I am preparing a doc about architecture and the 5D rolling shutter in archtecture is not giving me a good result "walking" and paning with the Movi, probably because of so many vertical lines and other objects on the scenes that magnifing so much the jello sensation. So that, I thought about black magic 4k with GLOBAL SHUTTER !!! Seems as a good choice to my needs in this project.

I read something about using pancake lens like 24mm or other similar small lenses.
    On the other hand in order to have the connections free I saw a video where BM was slide back from the center and a long lens doing the counterweight !!?? Douts !!!

I don't know either the best way to convert 6G SDI to HDMI and if I can still use my Ninja Blade once this monitor is a recorder too like Black Magic does.

Some of you guys could give me some considerations about that?
    About thin cables, SDI converter to HDMI... etc
    Could you also tell me about the best way to use a SDI converter to HDMI still preserving movi moviments?
    Should be something like this converter?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11044817&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Many thanks and sorry for some repetitive questions...

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You can use that convertor. As long as you use M5 handheld, it will be easier to balance. For airborne stuff, it's kind of pain since you need to put all the accessories over the gimbal itself, not the hand bar.

Check out this thin HD-SDI cable:

https://www.convergent-design.com/accessories/51-ultra-thin-sdi-cable.html

I find it easy to balance the BMCC4K with a heavier and long lens, for example Canon 24-105mm. This way, you need to push the camera backwards and you will have easier access to SDI and power input port.

3. Andre Nazareth

Thanks Ozkan,
    I will use M5 handheld.
    The 24-105mm is an easy possibility for me and should be great.
    But is it not too heavy together with BM4K? You use both together with any problems of overweght the M5?

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

As long as you balance the rig properly, don't worry about the weight. I even fly with Movi M5 + Red Epic Dragon + Zeiss Speed Primes without any issues.

Hope that helps.

5. Andre Nazareth

Thanks Ozkan !!!

About to mount the converter and cable:
    the converter must go to the handheld bar, right?
    And the convergent cable of the ink above is said for 3g SDi dignal... it also works with BM4K 6G SDI signal?

6. Matija Petrovic

Matija Petrovic New Member

Hey Andre, I have BMCC 4K and Movi M5. I usually use Canon 16-35, and Rokinon 35mm and 14mm and works fine

Andre Nazareth likes this.
  7. Andre Nazareth

Thanks Matija !
    Do you have some tip about using external monitor... about cables and converters and fixing it?

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Placing the converter on the handheld bar would be a better choice. Your only connection will be SDI cable between the moving part and handheld bar.

3G SDI cable can be used with BMCC 4K. With high quality cables you will get even 4K output. Even it's not rated for 6G specs, you can record internally 4K but the output can be full hd. If you get that cable, you will not have any issues. Just order a right length suits your needs.

9. Andre Nazareth

Thanks again Ozkan, helps a lot !!!

10. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Here's a pic of my setup, i use 16-35/2.8 or 17-40/4, also Sigma art 35mm/1.4 is balancing well, but i find it really hard to balance lighter lenses like pancakes. Like Ozkan said it's much easier to acces connectors with heavier lens. I made custom 90 angle BNC cable so connector is as small as possible. There's also lanc connector you should be careful with, it's very easy to bend and break the camera female lanc connector if using regular straight 2,5mm male plugs.

Attached Files:

• BMPC.jpg
      BMPC.jpg
      File size:
      417.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Andre Nazareth

Thanks for your help Kari,
    what dou you have above the left motor with a white cable, is a SDI/HDMI converter?
    Is it a good place to work with that?

12. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Yes and yes :) That's Atomos converter, it's there because it helps to balance roll axis to have enough room for connectors.

13. Andre Nazareth