/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI M15 Cage

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Phil Macdonald, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Phil Macdonald

Hi,

What are peoples thoughts on using the M15 without the full cage? The reason I ask is that we have found that the C300 only just fits when both top and bottom rails of the cage are at the very end. This would usually be fine but we have a job tomorrow in which we require a follow focus, which in turn requires rails to mount the motor. The only way we currently have of doing this is using the ultra cage which makes it then too tall to fit within the cage. Now obviously we can take the top rails off and this is fine but is the M15 tuned around having the cage or by taking the top rail of does it in essence become the same as the M10?

Any tips and tricks are most welcome,

Cheers,
    Phil

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Phil,

my first instinct is to just to make the cage larger. I can send out a kit that will allow you to make the cage taller by 2" if you want. It takes about 2-3 minutes to make the swap, if that works for you. Shoot me an email to jason@CinemaOxide.com

3. Phil Macdonald

Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting, so how I never thought of this before but with the vertical bars being 15mm I've just mounted the motor on that so problem solved. It actually works super well

Cheers,
    Phil

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Also, by the sound of it, the Freefly rod mount adapter would do the trick. It gets some 15mm rods in there without adding any vertical height.

5. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

I've used it w/o the full cage quite a bit. While not ideal, it works fine, but you should use wedges to minimize small vibrations.

Cheers,