/dist/images/branding/favicon

I Really need extended roll arms!!!

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by pedro faerstein, Dec 1, 2014.

1. pedro faerstein

Hi,

Recently I saw this blog post (http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2014/04/kitting-out-your-movi/ )
    and the extended roll arms, really caught my attention. I have been using my movi with an red Epic, and every time I want to use a mattebox it's a pain in the ass. I have a very light setup, so total weight is not a problem. My mattebox is a vocas 210 (very light, about 200g). But because of the short roll arms, the back of the camera hits the movi when balancing.

So I have to start adding weight to the back of the camera to get it balanced (like putting the paralinx and the bfd receiver velcroed to the side of the camera. This worked with cp2 lenses, but on heavier lenses, having to add weight to the back of the camera, made me get to the weight limit of the rig. All I needed was about an extra inch or 2!!

I guess a lot of people have a similar problem, and I don't see why freefly can't sell an upgrade kit for that.

I contacted Freefly support and the answer was that this part was incorporated into the design of the m15 and that they wouldn't seel it separetely.

I don't understand. If they can upgrade the pan knuckle and the cage design, why can't they sell this?

Please!!!!

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

If there is enough interest for this product we will manufacture it. Shoot us an email if there's any interest jason@CinemaOxide.com

3. pedro faerstein

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply. I really don't understand how this issue haven't popped up before in the forum. Such an easy fix... I really want to use my mattebox and filters with the movi!!

I would prefer if freefly would sell this. They actually made it already as a prototype. So it's just a matter of good will for them to sell it.

But i will definetely buy yours if freefly refuses to do it.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Pedro: I cannot get the web link you specified to work -- I tried adding a line break after the URL. I can find what *should* be the web page using Google, but even Google is handing out a broken link.

Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Pedro: the link in your posting was broken. I think I've fixed it OK. Let me know if I did not fix it.

Andy.

6. pedro faerstein

7. pedro faerstein

yes, it's working now. Thx.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The problem was that all of the text following the link was also a URL.
    Andy.

9. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

You can get them in China in every online store.

10. pedro faerstein

Hi Augusto,

Are you Brazilian too? I got this response from freefly:

"You simply can't replace the Roll Beam Arms with longer rods and call it good. The unit would need additional wire harness modifications, additional adjustments to the GCU and IMU puck calibrations, in order to have it operate properly. The process to do these adjustments and calibrations can only be done at Freefly."

Have you done this modification? Could you post a link where you bought the part? Did you feel it had regular operation after you done it?

Thanks

11. Augusto Alves da Silva

Pedro:

Não vejo razão nenhuma para não poder mudar os braços. As calibrações são iguais. O único problema poderá ser o comprimento dos cabos. Penso que do resto é tudo igual. Já mudei comprimento de braços num monte de gimbals e nunca notei qualquer diferença. O imu fica sempre no berço da camera e não vejo nenhuma razão para não funcionar.

Abraço

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Pedro: Você pode querer verificar com Freefly. Você pode achar que essa modificação vai afetar sua capacidade de obter reparos em garantia, pois isso pode ser considerado uma modificação não autorizada.

Abraço
    Andy.

13. pedro faerstein

Augusto,

Could you point a link, wher I could buy thi longer arms. Coudn't find on the web. Andy, do you speak portuguese, or was this google translator? Thanks for the tip. I will definetely check before doing anything.

Thanks,

Pedro

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bom dia, Pedro.
    Eu desejo que eu fiz falam Português - e não digo a minha esposa isso - mas a minha namorada é a Sra Google e ela fala muitas línguas.

Eu só falo Inglês, americanos, franceses, COBOL, Fortran, Algol, C, C ++, Java, bash, e Javascript. Ah, e binário.

Abraço
    Andy

Chris Harrison likes this.
  15. Gorka Rotaeche

Hi Pedro.
    I asked Freefly the same several months ago. The same answer.
    You have to do it you self.
    I have to do it on mine.
    And it does not need calibration, only extent the cables.
    Freefly is always there to help us o_O

Kevin Descheemaeker likes this.
  16. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hi Augusto

Can you give us any direction where to search in China, because that's a big continent even trough the world wide web that is even biggen :)

Thanks a lot

Kevin

17. Andrew Sorenson

Andrew Sorenson New Member

Does anyone have any info on where I can get some extended arms for the M10? I have a Fs700 and it's stupid to balance on the stubby arms.

18. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

19. Senthil Nathan

Jason, your extended arms are for the M5 right? Do you have arms for the M10?

20. Augusto Alves da Silva

you can get the longer carbon tubes everywhere. Choose the length you want. The only problem you´ll have will probably be the wiring from motors and IMU which will be short and will need to be added length. But nothing too complicated.