/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum DX8 Help

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Robert Redd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Ok, something is up here. From what I've read, the AR8000 will not work without the satellite plugged in. Therefore, will not work standalone with the Movi. The suggestion that I can plug the Movi to the AR8000 via the satellite plug renders the AR8000 useless! I've not heard back from Robert Redd (above) yet but I simply cannot understand how he got his receiver to work without the satellite?
    I'm going to try an AR9020 next. It has two satellite ports and hopefully it will bind and function with only one satellite connected, leaving that port to connect to the Movi. Any thought's on this or any further information on how the AR8000 can possibly work without the satellite plugged in? All this to trigger a shutter!

2. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Ok, two things.
    1) AR8000 receiver will not work without the satellite connected, leaving nowhere to plug into Movi. (Other Spektrum receivers, like the AR6210, do work without the satellite being physically connected. So you can bind them then plug the satellite into the Spektrum port on Movi to control it and map the receiver itself to use an aux output as a trigger. This has been done by the wonderful folks at FF customer support but I'm not sure the 6 channels on this device is enough. I'll update when I have the perfect solution!)
    2) Do not try and bind a receiver with a satellite using the Spektrum cable supplied with the Movi as it's too short. The devices need at least a few inches between them to work! That's why mine wouldn't bind! Totally threw a spanner in the works that one!

3. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Why not use the satellite only and ditch the AR8000? This is done all the time in things like RC Helicopters and I believe from Tab that you can plug the Sat direct into the M10 and set it into bind mode from the M10 too (don't know how to set it into bind mode though).

4. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

That's back to square one! The whole reason I'm chasing my tail here is because there isn't an axillary output on the Movi to fire a shutter release! (I don't think you've read the thread properly.) I need a receiver to do this.

5. Angus Benson-Blair

Sorry, Mitch, I had answered whilst on my iPhone and had missed the whole first page!

6. Angus Benson-Blair

As a thought, how about making a two to one cable for the sat. The end with one plug would go into the sat. The first plug of the 'two' end would go into the Movi and the other into the AR8000. This way the AR8000 would see the sats it needs to work properly and it would also get power and the signal from the sat would be shared with the the Movi and the AR8000. Admittedly this is certainly a bodge job but it might well work.

7. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

We have just received our Movi MR a couple of days ago and need to control the shutter of a Nikon D800 for stills. We have a spare DX8 that we will use for TX but have yet to buy an RX. Looking at the issues in this thread, which Spektrum RX should we purchase?

8. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I've just taken ownership of an AR9020 which has 9 channels and i believe can work without the satellite plugged in. I'm going to try and get it working today. As I said the AR8000 wont work and I certainly wouldn't risk the bodge job suggested above. Too much at stake!

9. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Ok, no reply from Robert Redd and I'm pretty sure he didnt get his working with the AR8000. It turns out that the AR8000 will not work without a satellite connected, and as the satellite must be plugged into the Movi, it's a no go. We purchased a 9 channel AR9020 and after 6 hours of F%$£&*G about finally got it to do what we wanted. The only down side is that it needs 2 satellite receivers plugged in when powered up to control. it has 3 satellite ports so were able to bind 3 satellites and the RX then unplug one and plug it into Movi. We use an aux channel to fire the optical shutter release. So we seem to have added a few extra components to do a simple task. Annoying but at least we can now trigger stills! Has anyone found a simpler solution that WORKS?

10. Angus Benson-Blair

When my movi turns up v soon I will test out my bodge job on the RX/Sat. Of course I will be 'dry' running it on another system I have here before I try it on the movi. I'll keep you posted.

11. Alexandre Cottin

Alexandre Cottin New Member

Hi Mitch, I have the same problem,
    looking for a solution to plug a LANC for the Sony and a shutter trigger for the NIKON D800 in aux port.
    did you find a better solution than the AR9020?

12. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

The ar9000 does work but it adds complexity as it needs two satellites to be attached. Hopefully freefly will address this?

13. Angus Benson-Blair

This is the one really poor implementation of design on the movi and a step backwards from the Radian setup. WHY OH WHY has this been forgotten about?

Can this and will this be implemented in a firmware update????

14. Angus Benson-Blair

Forgot to mention, I did the dry run as mentioned in post 30 and it didn't work.

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

16. Angus Benson-Blair

Thanks Gary, Im happy with how I have my trigger is working but just wish we didn't need to do it in the manner currently required- it's too Heath Robinson for a bit of kit at this price given the Radian's previous capability.

17. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez New Member

Hey there, can anyone please point me in the right direction where I can find the freefly.spm file to program my DX8? I cannot get my tilt and pan to work with the proper stick input. Anytime I Rudder up or down I get pan and my Aileron controls my tilt. Its kinda weird and Id like to have it set as the DX7 demonstration video by Freely. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thank you

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

19. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez New Member

Thanks Andy, Ill do that.

20. Mark McGuire

Mark McGuire Distributor

Anyone looking for the .SPM DX8 model file, send us your email, I have a copy. I cant seem to upload it here.