/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flight controller for heavy lifter

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by JASPER GLAVANICS, Nov 30, 2014.

1. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi all,

Just asking around to see what flight control system people are using for their heavy lifter UAV's. Wether X8 or straight 8 Octo.. I am flying a custom X8 Cinestar, lifting a Red Epic and M10 or M15. Around 14-15kg total takeoff weight. At the moment I am running a Mikrokopter flight control system, but not too sure on it, it doesn't seem to perform as well as DJI systems anymore.

Anyone using a similar setup and would like to share their Flight Control setup?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The main issue IMHO with MK is when you get up to that kind of AUW, you're limited in your power options. You should really have 40-50A per motor available, but we've all seen and/or experienced issues with the MK BL system at that kind of power. And unfortunately the MK flight electronics to not mate well with 3rd party ESCs, so that's not considered a great option. My machine is 11kg or so, and Mikrokopter's setup is working just fine for me.

You could certainly investigate the DJI WKM or A2. WKM is considered a very stable, reliable platform, although DJI has (I believe) stopped maintaining it. A2 is their main emphasis nowadays, but there have been numerous incidents involving these, and some are wary of the A2 for that reason.

Some are flying the SuperX, but the support in the community is quite limited, so you would be mostly on your own.

So, in summary, while I believe the Mikrokopter Flight and Nav/GPS system is the best out there right now, at the kind of weight you're flying, the matching ESCs (called BLs in MK land) are maybe a little underpowered.

3. kjetil tønnesen

Hello
    i have been flying mk since a start flying multi its a good fc,but i have now convert my multi´s to dji a2 ,because i find it more stabel ,and the atti mode is working very good,i have had no issuse with my a2 setup ever,i think for most off the time it is usere´s fault.
    i have a standar cinestar 8 with a2 and a hevylifter x8 with a2 and they deliver exellent fligth´s

4. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

Kjetil, what takeoff weight are you running on your X8 with A2? Can you post the specs of this machine with some pics by any chance? would love to see what other people are running.
    I have been using and A2 with the S1000 and haven't had any issues with that one.

Steve, I haven't heard of the SuperX.. will look into it.
    At the moment, the X8 is pulling between 110 - 120amps. Everything seems to be running fine, the motors are cool when landing and I'm still at 40-45% throttle when hovering. Im just not a fan of the "manual" mode with MK, where you can't relax at all IMO.
    I like "Atti" mode with DJI, as its much more stable when not fully utilising the GPS mode.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or take a look at the folks at KopterWorx. They use both MK and DJI with either Hercules or their own brand of ESC's. Some really BIG lifters.

JASPER GLAVANICS likes this.
  6. JASPER GLAVANICS

Thanks Gary will do

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I'm using Herkules III with MK electroncs and I find it more reliable than MK's BL controller.

Check out my posts about this combination. I use KDE 5215XF-435KV motors with Hercules III + MK FC without any issues. It's perfectly stable.